Chesapeake Arboretum Loop

Chesapeake Arboretum Loop is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesapeake, VA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mulched trail with bridges crossing clear stream, 200 yr old trees. Trail gets narower past the loop and becomes out and back fort the rest of the way. Easy 1.5 mile hike along wide mulched trail. Trail runs along clear stream with many beautiful bridges and benches great for scanning the water for wildlife. Be sure to pick up a trail map and the tree identification guide in the parking lot across from the trail head.

Went last week, there is a sign saying that the park is permanently closed due to storm damage, but we went in anyway. The opening of the trail still looks well maintained, better then how it looked a year ago when I last went, one of the wooden viewing spots and one of the bridges were destroyed by falling trees.. there was a big fallen tree on the trail near the back of the loop but there is a big enough opening to walk under it and keep going. Still a nice spot in the middle of the city, better in the fall, in the spring time you tend to get attacked by big bugs in there.

very well maintained. scenic walk by a stream.

Visiting the area from Colorado, home of the best trails ever!, and found this little gem! Easy, lush trail. Lots of wildlife on my hike today, not very many people, and clear trails all the way around the Center Trail except for the last quarter mile which was flooded due to the horrible storms the previous few days. Very relaxing and peaceful Trail for someone looking for a piece of tranquility in the middle of the hustle and bustle...literally!

Cannot recommend this one and I'm not sure why it has a good rating here. There seemed to be little to no trail maintenance (bridges broken, lots of overgrown branches into the trail, garbage cans overflowing), and there are no views or picturesque spots to speak of. We were hoping to find a gem here but it's about 1 year of neglect away from being re-taken by the woods. The "river" is literally a stormwater outflow pipe and resulting stream.

Nice trail, not a whole lot to see but peaceful. Super easy for kids

it was a beautiful site and the scenery changes alot so you'll never get bored on your hike. some brifges were out, and some trails took you to peoples back yards but other than that it is a pretty cool place

The Chesapeake Arboretum is very beautiful with 3 different trails and lots of scenery that changes with every trail. I took one star away because at least two of the trails have bridges missing making you unable to complete them.

The orange trail on the map is not complete. The gardens are also overrun. The beginning of the trail is mulched and nice to walk on but turns into dirt pretty early on. Otherwise a very nice walk. The city should take care of arboretum more often.

Great

Really peaceful walk for us. Definitely easy and family friendly. Our dog loved the abundance of squirrels to see! Well designed trails. Found one loop that wasn't as marked but other than that, really well kept up. We will be coming back!

I love to take my two boys here. We see lots of small wildlife and the trails are very well maintained. Perfect for a home school morning out and nature study. I agree with the poster who mentioned poor signage. It is. On the whole though, it's a wonderful place!

Very disappointing. The trail was well maintained with mulch, but there was a bridge out, a rail missing from an overlook and signage was terrible.

It was great, very nice and clean. My kid and dog loved it. I will be coming back.

scenic driving

A

Nice peaceful trail. Lots of shade. The weather was perfect when my wife and I went. Nice beginner trail.

Great place to walk, mulch trails that are well maintained. Be careful, there are a good number of snakes, both non venomous (garden /ribbon snakes) and I've seen two (venomous) Copperheads there in spring 2014 already (it's only may). The copperheads are hard to see and typically don't move out of your way. Use common sense ..... I still take my dog there at least once a week.