Chadwell Gap Trail

Chadwell Gap Trail is a lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ewing, VA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and camping.

4000 feet Point to Point

cave

It is a rough hike but spent the day at the Hensley Settlement so it was worth it. I've also done it just up to the top and back which only gives you the gratification of completion, which is still worth it.

Hard trail with little payoff. Me and my dog took about four hours to hike to the top and back, starting from the Chadwell Gap parking lot. It's a nice hike until you get to the old foundation right at the foot of the mountain, and then it's straight uphill from there. The trail is rough. Lots of big rocks. The rock formations and cuts in the rock are cool. I was hoping for a big payoff--a great view from the top. Spent about 20 minutes at the summit looking for a view and couldn't see anything through the trees. Disappointed, we hiked back down. Down was harder on my knees than up because of the steep grade, but it was much less strenuous. I probably won't do it again.

We enjoyed several sites along the way to the Sand Cave. We saw deer, smaller cave, incredible rock formations.Downside is the sign was missing at the bottom of the trail and we missed the left to the Sand Cave. We put it in reverse and finally found the cave - a little confusing but definitely worth seeing at least once. Parts of trail were overgrown with briars and the loose rocks were problematic coming down the trail - slipped multiple times - luckily didn't wipe out. Hiked a total of 13.9 miles. Beware of the gnats & horse flies!!

started at chadwell gap parking lot and hiked to the Hensley Settlement it was hard uphill hike but very beautiful. the rock formation above you, the beautiful flowers, the views of the valley below makes it worth the effort. did not see any water crossing. We did not see any hikers on the way up but encountered few groups on the way down. the trip definitely worth repeating.

We started at the Chadwell Gap trailhead and hiked to the Hensley Settlement. The trail is well marked. We only saw one other hiker the whole day. This hike was a challenge. Our group included a range of ages and skill level from 50's to 12yrs. We started early and used most of the day to hike and explore. I will definitely go back to try out the other trails that are connected.

hiked for second time December 11 2015 with my husband Jeff. temperature in upper sixty's and VERY foggy. the fog was a first for me...made fir some interesting photos but could not see anything from atop white rocks! the water fall at the sand cave was awesome...I liked it better with sun shining on it but the mist was different! challenging on our older knees but worth the time.

I am not a fan of this trail. It is very difficult for sure but it is also very rocky with loose golfball & baseball sized rocks. This makes for a tough assent and decent. There are no views from the top or along the trail. Gibson Gap is a much better choice in my opinion and it is equal in challenge. Note: This review is for the Chadwell Gap Trial ONLY, once you reach the Ridge Trail at the top of the mountain Hensley Settlement and White Rocks are awesome with amazing views!
BTW, the description speaks of a waterfall, I didn't see a waterfall, maybe I was going during the wrong time of year.

OMG....I thought this trail was very challening! begins flat but then after about one mile became quite steep. Loved the dripping water fall at the cave indentions. surprised at all the rocks and clifts. great views. finally made it to the settlement. so lush and green and flat...no wonder they very seldom came down from the mountain....they had to climb back up! Beautiful photo ops.

Awesome hike, I have hiked this trail twice and plan on going again this week. very strenuous but so rewarding!

I have hiked this area several times and make the loop from white Rocks to Sand Cave every time very worth your time and effort.

strenuous hike, especially with a backpack, but gorgeous view and many sights to see. couldn't be more peaceful. definitely a must hike! some portions of the trail you are even aloud to ride on horseback.

very rough hike but very rewarding also.