Buzzard Rocks

Buzzard Rocks is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Strasburg, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The Buzzard Rocks Trail is a 7.9 mile trail located near Front Royal, Virginia. The trail is rated as moderate.

Great hike. Left mid afternoon and completed entire up in back route before dark. Lots of good views especially at the start of the ridge line. Two large boulders mark the end of the hike but we continued down to trail end before returning back to trail head.

My daughter and I went on a Wednesday morning in December. We were the only car in parking lot. And of course.....the views.

love this hike, have done it time and time again, depending on time of year there can be several others on trail.

Great day hike! The trail was easy-moderate in difficulty and it is well marked with white blazes. Great hike to see the fall foliage.

Great view!

Great hike!

The trail up to Buzzard Rocks wasn't a bad climb and the view down into the Shenandoah Valley was great on a clear day. Saw a few rock climbers on the cliffs but I was actually surprised at how empty the trail was for a weekend. I continued up the trail past the rocks until I got another 700 ft or so of elevation but the view was obstructed this time of year. Definitely on my short list to come back.

I loved this hike. Trail itself is mellow, well maintained and lovely. First lookout is beautiful, but it's not until you're about 2 miles in, cruising along the rocks that the true massif of the trail becomes visible. stunning views behind magestic slabs of rock. I'm a sucker for beautiful rocks, so maybe I'm biased, but I think this trail is one of my favorites.