Buzzard Rocks

Buzzard Rocks is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Strasburg, VA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The Buzzard Rocks Trail is a 7.9 mile trail located near Front Royal, Virginia. The trail is rated as moderate.

love this hike, have done it time and time again, depending on time of year there can be several others on trail.

Great day hike! The trail was easy-moderate in difficulty and it is well marked with white blazes. Great hike to see the fall foliage.

Great view!

Great hike!

The trail up to Buzzard Rocks wasn't a bad climb and the view down into the Shenandoah Valley was great on a clear day. Saw a few rock climbers on the cliffs but I was actually surprised at how empty the trail was for a weekend. I continued up the trail past the rocks until I got another 700 ft or so of elevation but the view was obstructed this time of year. Definitely on my short list to come back.

I loved this hike. Trail itself is mellow, well maintained and lovely. First lookout is beautiful, but it's not until you're about 2 miles in, cruising along the rocks that the true massif of the trail becomes visible. stunning views behind magestic slabs of rock. I'm a sucker for beautiful rocks, so maybe I'm biased, but I think this trail is one of my favorites.

Nice little stroll, with a fun surprise.

nice hike

Great views from the ridge line. Will be back

A great hike with the kids. They loved climbing on the rocks and the awesome view. Check out my full write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.

Awesome. Fun. Lots of streams and rocks and hills Made me feel like a kid!

Beautiful hike. Lots of water this time of year, bring water proof shoes. Ridges, steep inclines, and pretty views

First hike did 4.5 miles, a bit of a challenge for a newbie. I'm looking forward to going back.

The views were spectacular! Some parts of the trail were a bit challenging yet fun. The timing was good for us because it was not crowded. I would recommend this trail for those that looking for a day hike.

It was a nice short hike with some rewarding views. I was able to stream Pandora for the entirety of the hike which is nice when your in a music mood

It was a great family hike to start the new year. It is worth the hike and the views were great.

Scenic & quiet on weekdays

Nice weather and views. Dog happy, we are happy.

Limited parking. So get an early start. Trail acends moderately to the north end of the mountain. Nice view to the north and the fish hatchery below. Trail narrows and becomes more of a rock scramble as you travel south. Great views from Buzzard Rock.