Big Woods Trail

Big Woods Trail is a 1 mile trail located near Mineral, VA. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

Directions from Fredericksburg, VA: Lake Anna State Park is adjacent to Route 601 off Route 208, 25 miles southwest of Fredericksburg and 55 miles northwest of Richmond. From the park entrance travel past the park office and take an immediate left. Travel a short distance and you will see a small parking lot with a sign that reads Hiking Trails. Turkey Run begins from this location running parallel with the road for a few steps. Take Turkey Run for about 2 miles until Big Woods Trail branches into Turkey Run.

Stunning views, but this trail is marked incorrectly as a biking trail - it would be a huge challenge to bike this trail. Much of it is very narrow and sloped steeply left to right and covered in slippery leaves, at least this month, making it that much more slippery. I wound up walking my bike through most of it. Although I had my no-grip biking shoes on, I enjoyed the hike but would have actually loved it in my Merrill MixMasters!

Short and nice little trail. I think it was more work driving to it than it was hiking it. I saw a lot of nature in the short distance.