Beecher Ridge and Overall Run Loop Trail

Beecher Ridge and Overall Run Loop Trail is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rileyville, VA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful waterfalls, very steep ascent, nice woods The early part of the hike is though the woods on the ridges. Lot's of dogwoods and redbuds in the spring and a few viewpoint spots. Coming back up Overall Run offers stream bed hiking, very steep uphill climbing, some very nice views and a few spectacular waterfalls. When you leave the parking lot turn right at the first trail marker post and follow that to the Tuscarora trail where you turn right. At the next TM post, turn left on Matthews Arm trail for short distance to pick up Beecher Ridge trail. BR trail will run into Overall Run Trail. Cross over the run and start back up. Above the waterfalls this trail joins with the Tuscarora and you return the same way. You can reverse the loop but if you do keep a closer look out for the waterfalls, which may be behind you by the time they are visisble.

Wonderful fall overnighter. The descent down overall run past the falls is rocky. The plentiful rocks coupled with a bed of dry leaves made for tricky going under the load of a full pack. Found a beautiful campsite near the connector of Beecher ridge. Beecher Ridge Trail was glorious with the autumn color and the ascent back to the Hogback lot was invigorating

I did this hike in the middle of May. It had rained a lot the week before so the waterfalls were flowing really good. I did the trail clockwise and do think that was the best way. It is downhill the first half and uphill the second half regardless. The first half I saw 10 bears! 10 black bears! The first was by himself and crossed the trail 15 yards in front of me very casually. He saw me and pretty much ignored me. Then later on I saw 3 different sets of a Mom and her 2 Cubs. All 3 times they went running or climbed up a tree once they noticed me. Pretty cool seeing them in their natural environment. All this happened before I got to the bottom where you get to the falls and the pools. Definitely spend some time down there and you can take a dip under the 20+ foot waterfalls. Then you start your way back up the mountain. The 92 foot waterfall is really cool, you can get out to top of it if you are brave and have some athletic ability. Great views from there. From there you can kinda stay near the water instead of staying on the trail. You just need to do a little climbing up a couple of the smaller waterfalls. Overall it was an awesome hike with the wildlife and the waterfalls!

Great hike, great views, great work out. New favorite. The water was roaring as it had rained all week. Parked at Thompson Hollow trail head, and took a left at Overall Run trail. Glad I did, as coming down the other side, it seemed like it would have been a much longer ascent. The pools at the end before getting back onto Thompson Hollow trail would have been even more inviting if it had been warmer.

Waterfall was very cool.

Great trail, very scenic. Fun and challenging day hike!

Challenging hike. A good workout. 2000 ft in elevation gain. I'll go back in Winter/Spring when the water flow is better. More water makes it a 4-star. Today, dry creek beds; the 92 ft waterfall just a trickle. I parked at Thompson Hollow, making this 8.5m. The views and scenery got better and better as I went along.

A fun hike, it's difficult to score trails as they change seasonally in my opinion. Took this hike with my girlfriend on July 29th, creeks were pretty dry and the waterfall was a trickle. You're able to reach the top of the waterfall when it's more or less dry, great photo op. The trail becomes narrow at times from the Thompson Hollow Road entrance, of course worse in the summer with all the growth. Bugs were tolerable, and the trail itself became more bugless and wider as you gain elevation. Other hikers told us they saw a rattlesnake about 15 feet from the path and turned around (coming towards us). We did not see the snake thankfully..

I will say the views were tremendous at the "top" (top: overlook from the side of the mountain facing the ridge). I'd say roughly 150 degrees of viewing. Overall Overall Run was fun, but I'm sure much more enjoyable in the Spring.