Bearpen Trail

Bearpen Trail is a 3.2 mile point-to-point trail located near Troutdale, VA. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and horses. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

3.2 miles 200 feet Point to Point

old growth

Bearpen Trail starts from the Scales trail and crosses the Appalachian Trail and ends at First Peak trail. 2 miles of this trail is within the Little Wilson creek Wilderness Area. This trail is very muddy for walking but seems to be used quite frequently by horseback riders. There are parts of the trail that are bog like. You will do some rock hopping just to stay out of the mud.

I did part of the Bearpen Trail from Big Wilson Creek Trail leading to first Peak trail, 1.9 miles in total. This was a muddy, rocky horse trail. It seemed as if there was water flowing into to it almost the entire length of the trail. I added some pictures but they are not pretty. If you want to follow a track it is part of the track called Little Wilson Creek Wilderness Up. I was completing a 10 mile wilderness hike and took this trail to get to Third Peak as it was the shortest route but on the way back I took Kabel Trail to get back to Big Wilson Creek trail and this proved to be an easier and much dryer way to go even though it was a bit longer. If you want to follow my track its called Little Wilson Creek Wilderness Up.

Bearpen trail has two sides. It has the awesome view side and the Wilderness mud side. This trail was nice at the views. Nice views with fog and marsh made the trail eerie. It was not well marked. It was a true adventure as there were no people at all. Once I entered the wilderness though, the trail condition deteriorated. Past Big Wilson Creek Trail, it was very muddy from years of horse use. After 1.5 miles of hiking in the mud, I finally reached 1st peak trail. My advice... I would bring a horse when entering Little Wilson Creek Wilderness. Anyway, this trail was part of my 20-mile day hike that I really enjoyed. What an adventure.