Appalachian Trail: Whitetop Mountain to Green Cove Creek

Appalachian Trail: Whitetop Mountain to Green Cove Creek is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Whitetop, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

9.3 miles 1302 feet Point to Point

A very forested hike. I was doing a 20 miler this day from Grayson Highlands to Scales, Mt. Rogers, and Whitetop. After summiting Mt. Rogers, I started on this portion west. The AT was literally a stream of water from all the rain, and my shoes were trashed with water. Not much views at this point; kind of wished I had taken the wide VHHT instead. After the same forest rain wet rutine, I made it to Elk Garden. Views were nice, and rested before my last 3 mile section. After trudging through the forest again, I made it to whitetop. From there, our pickup was waiting, and we drove on up to that summit. Great views from here, with all the clouds in the valley. Really wanted to hike on to Buzzard Rock, but time of day would not permit me. Able to see Buzzard Rock from the summit though. Hope to hit that outcrop next summer. Trail would get higher rating if weather was better and trail drier. But, a nice hike and overcoming adversity.

Good trail, lots of flora and some turkeys. Nice view from Buzzard Rock.

good hike