AT and Scales Loop Trail

AT and Scales Loop Trail is a 3.8 mile loop trail located near Troutdale, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Virginia Highlands, bald mountains, wild horses, expansive vistas, wildflowers This circuit hike will guide you through some of the most beautiful scenery to be found along the Appalachian Trail. The hike begins at a remote campsite within the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area. From here you will use the Appalachian Trail to climb into the balds, kept that way by the natural foraging of the wild Virginia Highlands horses. Pine Mountain trail provides the cross trail back to the AT to complete the circuit. Here or within the Grayson Highlands State Park boundaries you are bound to encounter the magnificent horses. The enterire area is abundant in Rhodedendron, and the aptly named Rhodendron Gap is a particularly wonderful sight in mid June. For the latecomer there will be blueberries by the pound. To get a real feel for the area plan on backpacking into Camp site 1 for some additional exploration and bag Mount Rogers (tallest peak in VA) while you are at it. Wise Shelter provides another opportunity for an overnight.

I hiked from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park to the Mount Rogers summit (November 2015) on a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. The open views on this section of the AT are spectacular. I really enjoyed crossing Wilburn Ridge. I took the more direct and rocky route on the way out and the somewhat less challenging 'bypass' on the way back. The trail also takes you through Rhododendron Gap and by the Thomas Knob Shelter (shortly before the Summit Spur). There was a mommy pony and her young pony hanging out in front of the shelter as I passed (not to mention many more that I saw along the way).

Did a section of this trail and combined it with a longer route. Gorgeous views, but it does get cold and windy in late October. We brought our dog and she loved it.

Great hike to get out doors and see nature. I did this hike in early April and was able to see and talk to Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers as they came thru.

One of the better experiences I've ever had in the backcountry. Our group got to get up pretty close to the ponies and it was just an excellent adventure. We can't wait to go back and climb mt. rogers!

gbgantvrumubbncbx.

thdtkhdyo wgvokkczorcna u flut gal

crest was a big let down , but getting there was a nice hike , not very well marked . but still enjoyable hiked in from Grayson state park

Awesome trail with great views. I actually did this loop starting and finishing from the Thomas Knob shelter at the tail end of a four day backpacking trip from Damascus. In August there were blackberries a plenty and I ended up not diving into my gorp sack the entire day. As always the free range ponies are fun to watch in this area. Highly recommend this area for hiking. I've included a link to my full write-up on this hike.

Great hike and beautiful area, highly recommend doing in snow if you get the chance. Did the loop from Grayson highlands backpacker lot to scales on the AT then from scales to mount Rogers. Camped along pine mountain trail near water source on the way to Rogers. Luckily I got to get this hike in a couple days after hurricane sandy and there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground. Moderate hike with little map skills required, just make sure if you bring a dog they listen well while not on a leash, wild ponies are in abundance at times.

Great trail. Some very challenging terrain but good places to catch her breath in Flats as well. Amazing views of the Appalachian range. I will be back for the leaf change in fall. And a good loop in an area that's hard to map out a loop hike. I would park at Grayson Highlands backpacker overnight parking lot as opposed to scales. Hike this southbound on the AT.