Sterling Pond Trail

Sterling Pond Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jeffersonville, VT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Right off Smugglers' Notch, pretty and quick. Of the many hikes in the area, this one is very good for familes and it shows that I am not the only one who knows this. Sadly the short hike and proximity of Sterling Pond has made it a target for abuse and overuse. (One mile from the Smugglers' Notch Road parking lot) That said, it does not mean that one shouldn't make the trip. During the week or early in the morning, this pond is beyond idyllic featuring subalpine plants, wildlife and quiet water. Starting off directly across from the info station at the parking lot, the first quarter mile is saturated with carefully built stone steps, which belie the high traffic of this blue blazed mile. Much of the first three quarters of a mile is lined with deciduous forest, trickling water and everything else you would expect in a wild area. I did the hike in hiking sandals (Chacos), but those unaccustomed to rocky and uneven surfaces may be interested in something with a bit of ankle support. The climb itself is not completely constant like the Hell Brook trail or the Long Trail up Mansfield, climbing comes in bursts and flats are thrown in often. It's a good starter hike. Once you reach the Long Trail, turn left and within a tenth of a mile, you will approach the pond area. Note though that this area has a very limited growing season and despite what many folks may do, due to inadequate signage, one should not approach the pond or walk in the grass; stay on the trail and the rocks to protect this landmark for years and generations to come.

Nice steady climb with a picturesque pond at the summit and nice views if you venture over to the Smuggler's Notch ski trails.

Really fun, even though it can get a bit crowded.

This was a great hike and I don't think I will ever forget the first time seeing the pond and how peaceful it seems up there. I definitely wouldn't consider this an easy hike as some of the others have stated. Either they are cyborgs or I am a tad out of shape. Seemed like we had to stop every 5-10 ft in elevation gain towards the top to catch our breath. So worth every step though.

great hike

Hey, loved the hike, very very easy and accessible for all levels of hiker. My friend and I did it today and swam in the pond! Holy crap it was cold! Real easy hike, good wake up miles

great uphill climb with beautiful pond at mid point.

Lovely quick trail! Lots of traffic! Went on a rainy day but still a nice hike!

A must see trail. So lush and drop dead scenery

This is a great hike but difficult in places. We did it with a 7 year old who managed really well and a 4 year old who struggled at times. There is a lot of climbing involved, sometimes over slippy rocks. The view is well worth it and the kids had a blast at the pond where they looked for tadpoles and played. It's well worth the hike.

My 8 year old son and I had a fantastic time on this trail. It was perfect for him to do without assistance and he was able to set his own pace.

Pretty easy hike that is steep in the beginning. However, the views are amazing and if you go past the pond a bit, you get a gorgeous view. Still, the pond was great to stop at and take a break. I would definitely do this again (quick warning though: parking may be hard to find in the parking lot by the trail head, it fills up pretty fast on a beautiful day)

Maybe I'm out of shape or maybe carrying a toddler on my back affected me more than I thought it would but I would rate this trail as more difficult than "moderate." That was a tough one but worth it.

Beautiful hike - slippery in some areas and my toddler stumbled quite a bit on the wet rocks so be prepared for handholding if you're bringing small ones. The pond at the top was worth the stumbles. Next time I'll know to pack a swimsuit since my kid wanted desperately to go in the water.

absolutely beautiful

Décevante Pas beaucoup de récompenses en arrivant au sommet. Un petit lac...

Have heard about Sterling Pond for years while skiing at Smugglers. Our family did the hike one afternoon, which starts close to the actual notch, which is interesting to drive through. The trail is pretty much all uphill but not too difficult. The pond was almost at the top and very serene and picturesque. Walked a little further and to hit the long trail and the peak of Sterling mountain.

Wonderful trail, well marked. Of moderate but challenging difficulty. The pond at the end is a real treat.