Mount Elmore

Mount Elmore is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wolcott, VT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Highly recommend going up the shorter but steeper fire tower trail and then descending the ridge trail for a nice climb followed by a more leisurely hike. Rocky crevasses just before the Balancing Rock off to the right of the trail are quite dramatic. Encountered a mink feeding on a chipmunk as well as some bear tracks and scat.

I used to hike up Elmore as a child when i lived in Johnson and had fond memories of it. I had to hike it again when I was back in town for my HS reunion. It is a nice trail with a few slightly challenging climbs. There is a sign which claims it is 1.2 miles to the summit but it is more than that. This is not the most challenging hike you will have but it is enjoyable with some great views from the fire tower at the summit. Definitely worth a visit while you are in the area.

Hit this trail during 'mud season' in early May - technically the trail is closed until Memorial Day so it can dry out. The park entrance is also closed until the same date - which requires a short walk to the trail head. This can be an in and out, but not sure why anyone would choose that option with the Ridge trail connecting for a nice loop at about the same distance but with some additional elevation gain.

A childhood classic for me. After hiking plenty of other trails and mountains, I returned to this one and remembered why I love it so much. I did the ridge trail for the first time and it is, by far, the more scenic of the two trails. Also easier. This turned it into a loop which was great.

This is a trail ANYONE can hike and enjoy. It's rewarding, well-maintained, and has lots of variety.

Well made trail. Easy and quick.

My friend and I took the balancing rock trail that was recently extended to connect with the main trail near the fire tower. The trail was much longer than we expected with many false summits but the incredible views from the fire tower as well as adorable wooden bridges and steps and the smell of spruce made it all worth it. Can't wait to come back in the summer to take dip in the lake after another trip up to the summit!

Great hike with fantastic views. There are 2 trails to the top of the fire tower: a more direct route and a longer route. If you are taking dogs, I recommend taking the longer trail "Mt Elmore Trail" instead of the more direct route. (I tried to go down from the top with the more more direct route and got to a spot or two where it was too steep for my dogs (a 90lb lab and border collie), so we went back up and down the longer way which was no problem for them.) From the longer path you'll pass two great lookouts before the fire tower, the first to the East and Lake Elmore, and the second to the West.

Beautiful well maintained trail with a wonderful view of lake Elmore and surronding area from firetower.

Hiked this trail many times when I lived in Vermont and have hiked it on return visits. Well maintained trail. a few slippery places and a couple of fairly difficult spots but overall a moderate excellent hike. Lots of beautiful trees, amazing in the fall. Great view of Elmore Lake below. Fun to climb the fire tower where the scenery is amazing!