Little Ascutney WMA

Little Ascutney WMA is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Reading, VT that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.0 miles Loop

old growth

Sure wish I knew my right from left! My daughter and I headed out to find the lost mtn known as Little Ascutney. She and some friends had attempted unsuccessfully to summit the south facing peak. So after headind through the second gate we stayed left instead of right as Eric had suggested. This brought us out to the wetlands ad then we went into the fields and looked up and chose the highest peak we could see and head for it. Well, after climbing to about 100' from the summit of Pierson Peak we could see across the valley to a higher peak, which thanks to Apple and her compass we could tell was Little Ascutney. We head down Pierson and try to bushwack up Little A but found it to thick so circled back to the wetland and the field wehere we first spotted Pierson Peak. Determined to find the damn Little A we pushed on through the fields, around the wetland and followed a combination of old logging roads, creek beds, and open sky above us to finally reach the peak of the little devil! Beautiful views from a couple spots. We decide to work our way northwest along the ridge line and find a, wait for it.....TRAIL! Low and behold a 40 minute easy hike down and we come out where had we taken a RIGHT we would have been to the top in an hour instead of the 3 it took us! It was a fun adventure for father and daughter before she heads off to college though.

Steve E.

This is a wilderness management area containing the Little Ascutney (1700') and Pierson (1500') peaks. Parking is near the first gate in Winter, and at the turn-around by the second gate during the warm months. The access road is very nice and even allowed my lowered car to be driven to the second gate. Passing the second gate, bear right onto the less beaten path which after a couple miles will bring you atop the south facing ridge of Little Ascutney. If you continue straight after the second gate, you'll find yourself in a small web of snowmobile trails, one of which led to a small but picturesque wetland, however the majority encircles a large field great for bird watching. None of these other snowmobile trails appeared to lead towards the Pierson summit, which I assume can only be attained by bush whacking.