Keewaydin Trail

Keewaydin Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wallingford, VT that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Wallingford, VT: Travel SR 140 east to the White Rocks Picnic Area. Trail may be accessed there.

GORGEOUS. My friend and I spent almost an hour at the top just because we couldn't get enough of the view. And the summit is fun because even if there are lots of people (like there were that day), it's bare and easy to find places to soak it in with peace and quiet, and each spot has a somewhat different view. The climb was a lot tougher than I was anticipating, bc I had hiked in White Rocks as a kid and didn't realize that there are multiple trails, and that when I was 16 I did the Ice Bed trail... oops. Anyway. Rewarding, beautiful, rugged. Classic AT on the way up - rocky and scrambly. Be in good shape and have some time on your hands, with PLENTY of water. Be sure to add a cairn to the absolutely bizarre cairn collection about .3 mi from the cliffs.

I work out a lot so was in good shape, if you are not, don't do it. We past experiences hikers throwing up as it was too much for them. It's pretty much non stop an hour climb. If you want to, try to be on the stair master at your gym - same thing:) views not spectacular. I got frustrated after a while. There's a little waterfall you see on your left at the beginning but you can't get close. The rock playgrounds are nice, the view nice. Leads to Appalachian trail. Wouldn't do it again.

It was a decent hike, the trails was mostly up hill witch was difficult for someone like me who is not very in shape. The views at the outlook were okay, but not the greatest. It was a great leg workout and I would totally do it again.

Good afternoon hike, though I unfortunately hit bad weather and it was raining when I reached the cliffs, so the views were not that great. Start early, and plan on plenty of time to explore the cliffs, as there are multiple directions you can see across the valley from. From the cairns (which have an almost eerie feel, almost like some kind of memorial) the trail gets very steep (down and then up again) and rocky and requires some hand over foot climbing, especially on the return. Be sure to watch carefully for the blue blazes as the trail gets a bit vague through here.

If you are feeling adventurous, be sure to explore down the ravine to the waterfall. There is no official trail, but its pretty clear where people have scrambled up and down the steep ravine down to the falls(and you can hear them from the trail). If you are not comfortable with steep bushwacking, and grabbing rocks and roots to climb back up, I would skip the falls.