Hell Brook (Mt. Mansfield) Trail

Hell Brook (Mt. Mansfield) Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jeffersonville, VT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until November.

The Hell Brook trail is a fun and challenging route to 'The Chin' of Mount Mansfield (The Summit). This is the shortest and steepest but also most technically difficult route to the summit. The trail is mostly large rocks and is usually wet. This route is considerably less busy than the popular Long Trail, which also makes it nice.

Awesome trail, but be prepared. Just because it's fall at the base there will be snow and ice (LOTS OF ICE)

Fun hike, loved it!!!!!!!

Loved this trail!!! It was tough but was the best one I've done yet, love that you get to climb rocks ☺️

Loved this trail!

Awesome trail! I saw someone posted this trail was dog friendly so I brought my two pups. If your dog is half-mountain goat this trial is fine. My pups survived the hike but there was a lot of steep open rock face which was very difficult for my dogs to get traction on. At one point my pup slipped and almost went off part of the mountain. It was tons and tons of fun, but I would be hesitant to bring them again.

Did it in the rain and I would do it again! Steep all the way up definitely required some planned movements. The summit was beautiful slick rock and as it was raining we were in the clouds with no view but still breathtaking !

I am so happy I completed this hike. It was challenging but so fulfilling of an accomplishment. The views were absolutely gorgeous all the way up and back. This trail not for the mild hiker, but fantastic for the adventurous hiker. When you get to the top can see everything. I would do again when I get back to Vermont.

Called "hell brook" for a reason...

Very challenging

Very challenging but a good experience for experts

geocaching

Short trail - has nice waterfalls along the climb. Dog friendly.

I did this one a few years ago, what a ruck it was. I was not as prepared as I should have been but it was fun all the same.

Knowing that Mt. Mansfield is the highest peak and Vermont and that Hellbrook was often considered the hardest way up didn't phase me and my brother from deciding to try it. We only had one day to do it, and the forecast was rain.

Starting off we encountered a decent grade that kept us breathing heavy and ascending slowly. Many parts of the trail were either mud or running water, so wearing waterproof boots was a necessity. As we continued onward, we encountered many challenging and dangerous rock climbs. These were especially technical because of the rainfall, fortunately there wasn't a lot of algae or moss to slip on though. Climbing Hellbrook is definitely a full body exercise, with many obstacles that require getting yourself muddy, scratched, and exhausted.

Often we'd find ourselves in disbelief as we spotted the trail marker up the mountain, with an alpine stream pouring down at us. Oh yeah, and that's the way you need to go! It took me a minute to realize why this trail is called Hell Brook.

The final ascent to the chin was also a notably technical rock scramble. Once at the top, the views were amazing and the hard work was validated. The temperature was easily 15 degrees cooler with gusty winds, so packing a jacket was critical to enjoying our time at the top.