Long Trail to Griffith Lake

Long Trail to Griffith Lake is a 13.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wallingford, VT that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

There is a shoulder to park along the road right next to the trailhead, you will see a big sign saying that Griffith lake is 6.8 miles away. Lots of ups and downs on this trail, it isn't incredibly strenuous but a round trip of 13.6 miles is pretty lengthy. Lots of rocks, you follow a river for most of the beginning with a decent flow for drinking water (you should still boil it). Griffith lake is beautiful, just bring water shoes because the bottom is jagged, many sticks and rocks to step on, just be warned about the horseflies!!!! The hike back is a lot easier, quite a bit more downhill but this is a good day trip - you will be pretty tired once you get back so I'd recommend a rest day the day after your hike.

This was an awesome out and back trail down to Griffith lake, I know you can get there another way, but this trail comes from seasonal forestry road. You follow the Appalachian trail/long trail south bound (and you'll likely pass a few backpackers coming from maine along the way. There are a few areas for camping if you can't make it back all the way, but it took us about 3 hours (with stops) each way. We ran out of water and were so thirsty we drank from the river without filtering but we were fine when we got home. Like the description says, if you make it all the way to the lake then bring water shoes!! The ground has a lot of crap so you have to watch where you step if you go barefoot. I also wore my shirt on my head to keep the horseflies from biting (there were many). The hike back was way easier, as long as you pace yourself then 13.6 miles isn't too bad. Also bring more water than you think you need or a water pump to filter the river water just to be safe.