Yellow Pine Trail

Yellow Pine Trail is a 9 mile out and back trail located near Kamas, UT and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October.

Steam at full volume. Made it up 3.75 miles and the snow pac was sketchy so we turned back. Trail was steady upwards with some significant grade at times. Plenty of rocks so don't plan on any speed records with your descent. Enjoyable afternoon hike.

After you cross the creek for 3rd time the trail still has decent amt of snow on it, so much so that you can't find the trail without guess work for decent periods of time. Trail was dry for the most part except for a 100 yard section right next to creek, but we've had no rain of note for a while. Trail narrow and can't imagine it is user friendly when it gets busy as single file for almost all of it and rocky with steady to steep gradient. We took 60% of the time to descend than ascend. Its a decent test .

The trail was not as beautiful as I had hoped and it was very rocky. There was still some really muddy sections in mid June.

Thanks for the review. The lakes are northwest. See http://www.summitpost.org/yellow-pine-trail/158664 for a topo map and trail description. I haven't been to the lakes but have hiked the trail several times. It's challenging, but I don't find it treacherous.

We started this hike at 8:30 am, which turned out to be a good thing; most of the trail was shady and pleasant all the way up. There are no gullies and almost no level ground- every step uphill. We aren't in great shape, so we stopped a lot to rest.

The views and surroundings on this hike were beautiful. Views of a very distant Timpanogas were gorgeous. Wild flowers were abundant and there were many varieties. We saw no other people, but a lot of horse apples!

The biggest problem with this trail is the fact that it is extremely rocky. The descent was especially treacherous, as sliding on gravel and rocks goes. I only fell once, but came close dozens of times. I'm still surprised that I didn't break or sprain an ankle. It's quite remote and this would NOT be a good place to have a debilitating injury!

Most disappointing, however, is the fact that we never found the lakes! We followed the trail, which was well-worn and clear, to a spot where it seemingly ended. After 4 1/2 hours of hiking uphill we decided to abandon the mission. Still trying to figure out where we went wrong.

I felt the risk of injury to be high enough that it wasn't worth the good stuff. I won't be going back unless I get a jetpack.