White Rim Trail

White Rim Trail is a 149.4 mile out and back trail located near Moab, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

Beautiful views, steep drops and plenty of exposure. One way or another, will take your breath away. Schafer Trail is an exposed shelf road that takes you into the canyon. Murphy's Hogback and Hardscrabble Hill are not for those that fear heights or exposure. Trail can be tight and very unforgiving, gotta be careful.

off road driving

This trail is a must do for everyone when you get to Moab. It is super easy for all 4X4 drivers and a lot of fun.

An easy road for our 4Runner but really bumpy. We started from Mineral Bottom and ran it counter-clockwise, spending the night at Hardscrabble. It was a great spot with shade but at night there were hundreds of mosquitos and biting flies. The Off bug spray worked to fend off the mosquitoes but the flies didn't care less. We left with lots of bites. We went in June 2015 on Thursday-Friday and saw 7 other vehicles but no other campers. Before we ran out of daylight we hiked to Fort Bottom and visited the tower and saw the cabin on the floor. The tower was really cool! The next day we did the remaining 70 miles in one day. It took us about 6 hours while stopping numerous times to takes a gazillion photos. So beautiful and remote.

As many of you know springtime arrived 2 months early ending an epic ski season in 2015. I work in the bike industry and being occupied with way too much fixing other people's bikes I hadn't had a chance to work my way south to ride in Moab. A last minute invite turned into my first ever White Rim ride.

Arriving after days of rain the pass was still open but a little muddy. I was grateful to have a fat bike with those huge tires that float in sand and mud generally. My compatriots struggled a bit more with mud and stability. After arriving on the actual White Rim most of our mud troubles were gone.

Our first day, because of permits was only 18 miles in to our first camp, at Airport Rock. The next day would be 52 miles to Hardscrabble Bottom Camp Site. The permits made it so that we had to envelope the hardest climbs of the White Rim Trail into one (the second) day made up of two decisively difficult ascents: Murphy's Hogback and Hardscrabble hill. The total mileage for the day was 52 miles and with my group definitely a challenging one. I did a solo side trip out to White Crack to see what that was all about. It was a piece of mining history that I'm glad I didn't miss.

Our final day it had rained several hours into morning so we woke to wet ground. The track runs along the Green River most of the way to Mineral Bottom and was mostly mud. Fat tires don't shed that kind of mud easily. Arriving at the exit we had enough extra water to get our bikes kinda clean for the ride out of the bottom of canyon country. Those switchbacks were easy compared to the other climbs we'd done the day before. The mesa road out seemed a bit long for my taste with little to distract. But nonetheless, it was an awesome adventure on bikes with full vehicle support, somewhat like multi-day races I've done.

Recommend: Yes.
Bike: Fat
Water: lots, no hydration bag, just bottles
History: Raye Ringholz, Uranium Frenzy: Boom and Bust on the Colorado Plateau

off road driving

It has been quite a few years s ince we drove this loop trail. We did it in two days, camping overnight at the White Crack campground. It is possible to do this in one day, (this way you don't need a permit) but it's recommended to take two days for a slower more enjoyable pace. The trail itself was fairly easy, but some nice views. I wish the administrators would change the activity from off road driving to 4x4 driving, since we all know not to drive off road, it is not cool to make new trails.

off road driving

Awesome trail. I had done the Schafer Trail in the spring and planned to do WR since I saw it from the Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point overlooks a year ago. With my new Rubicon the entire valley is open to travel. There are NO FACILITIES on this trail. Pit toilets. No benches. No shade. No water. What you bring is what you have. Plan ahead. I traveled in August. HOT!

3 day bike trip around the rim. Beautiful shared trip with close and new friends. Biking and camping adventure is a magical place overlooking the confluence of the Colorado and Green rivers.

off road driving

The White Rim Trail can be done as a loop trail, starting at the end of Potash Road, with the junction of Shafer and White Rim, and ending back at Moab via the Mineral Botton Trail. No services and no water exist anywhere on the drive. With my sons Ron and Bob, we only did a small segment of this trail, taking a Jeep trip down to the bottom of Lantrop Canyon, actually only 11 miles on White Rim. But even this short trip on White Rim was awesome below sheer cliffs and changing panorama of rock, canyons, river, and sky. The Jeeping was demanding at times, especially on some shelf road areas of the trail. One mistake and it's a long way down to the Colorado River. We stopped at some scenic sights, Musselman Arch, and the Gooseneck Overlook, to name a few. The scenery was like nothing we've seen before, absolutely breathtaking.