White Pine Lake Trail

White Pine Lake Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, UT that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October.

fly fishing

The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream

I love the variety on the trail. Rocky, wooded, exposed, dry, river crossings... it has it all.

Tough hike. Lightly trafficked.

One of the funner hikes up little cottonwood. Good length, well marked trails and pretty

The hike is 11 miles (round trip) per my Garmin Fenix 3 GPS watch (5.5 miles one way). The advertised mileage on all trails of 9.9 is likely not correct.

Long but relatively easy hike up until the last mile. We brought all our gear for camping and it took us 2 hours 40 minutes. Beautiful Lake to camp on, the openness of the area around the lake is stunning and worth exploring.

2 hours and 40 minutes to the lake with all our camping gear. Gorgeous lake and the area around it is worth exploring. Looking forward to late spring when the lake is full

My husband and I didn't love this hike. The trail, although beautiful at some parts, is SO ROCKY! Red Pine was so much better, but it's worth doing once. The lake was really low, but it's very clear and we were able to see the fish swimming. It was very quiet the entire way, not a lot of people. Total distance was 11 miles.

We weren't expecting this hike to be as long as it was. From the trail head, it says 4 miles to white pine lake. Its actually 5 and the last mile is the hardest. The first 3.5 miles are pretty easy going and really pretty. After that it gets really steep and the views start opening up. At around 5 miles you see the view of the lake. The sun was setting so we weren't able to go down to the lake, but it was an enjoyable hike, especially as the sun set over the mountains. Bring plenty of water and headlamps if you decide to do it later. Pretty untrafficed when we did it.

3 star for late summer hike, the lake is half empty. literally 15ft drop in water level. this is extremely rocky trail. I'll probably come back early spring next time, when snow is still on the ground. campfires are allowed, something I'll keep in mind next time as well.

This trail has fantastic views! I hiked it with my wife and three kids. 10 miles out and back, take water and good refreshments.
We loved the lake and stood there for an hour enjoying the nature in nice shady areas.

The long, wide, steadily ascending trail is a good intermediate hike. I must admit the boulder strewn trail in the last mile was a bit demoralizing but well worth it when I got to the lake, relaxed on a flat rock, enjoyed the wildlife and the views!

Beautiful wild flowers, streams, wildlife, and views.

Love it. Once at white pine lake I actually boulders over a ridge and dropped down onto red pine lake. Saw a mountain goat doing that. It was awesome