Upper Bell's Canyon Trail

Upper Bell's Canyon Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, UT that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Once past the second falls, the trail follows a series of carins set by the Wasatch Mountain Club in conjunction with the Forest Service. This mapped route is a close estimate of that route. It is not recommended for novice hikers. At the Upper Reservoir one can continue to other high points in the Wasatch back country that will require mountaineering and or good navigation skills.

What a great hike. Not for the faint of heart. Thank you Maggie Cloud for going with me. Once you get above the lower falls there is some beautiful country to see.

This one is great for someone who wants a good work out... Many rocks and boulders, but the scenery makes up for the technicality. Word of caution, there are many slick spots with the snow, ice and mud.

ouch my poor knees this hike was awesome. it took forever me and a friend went about nine and a half hours until we got back down it's beautiful very fun maybe take some knee wraps.

Give yourself time to do complete trail.Boulder fields are tough,when you lose sight of trail follow cairns.

Beautiful the whole way up, hard hike, but totally worth it!

Steep climb the entire way but worth the climb.

it was a very beautiful hike would do it again in a heartbeat

The hike is very rocky and slow going. It follows the stream/river mostly the entire way so there are many scenic views. Hiking on the granite was awesome. One of the most beautiful hikes. Most people miss the best parts of the hike if they only go to the falls.

Steep but totally worth it.

Great hike with terrific views. Quite strenuous at times. Took 3.5 hours for us to ascend.

Great hike! I will be returning ....

It will be steep and technical! It was still pretty snowy in mid June because the elevation is so high. It's crazy how you can pass so many hundreds on the trail then be the only one all the way at the lake! I planned 3 hours to make the climb then set up camp. It took over four and was dark as I reached the lake. Take a fishing rod with spinners (light colored jake's).

awesome trail tough but rewarding when you reach the upper reservoir u will be impressed

it is amazing

This is a great hike and it hard. the views are amazing and I love the fact that it is very light traffic after the lower falls and even lighter after the upper falls.

My son and I went to the upper reservoir and it should be noted that after the bouldering area the trails become very scares and there are many trail markers that don't take you to the reservoir.

I am not a highly experienced hiker so I am sure that the hike could be done faster but I would plan on 10 hours up and back (and some pretty sore legs ;) ).

this is a great trail

Steep hike but well worth it. The trail becomes non existence at times so follow the stacked rocks. Plan on at least 6 hours on the trail round trip. The waterfalls are spectacular and the lake is awesome. Plan on bouldering and bush whacking the last 1/2 mile.

I've always pondered what's around the bend of Bell's Canyon. Looking south from Salt Lake City one can see up this area but not in detail.
Last summer I took off early wanting to beat the rush to the trailhead as Bell's Canyon, lower sections, are popular to hike year round.
I know the route up to the Upper Falls fairly well. Beyond that I've been off trail, loosing sight of the carins. In 2014 the Wasatch Mountain Club working with the Forest Service reworked the carins guiding one up to the Upper Reservoir. The Upper Res is semi-popular with several groups to camp near.
I found this reworked trail easier to follow than in my past experience there. I enjoyed the solitude and the views of the valley in the distance. From the lake I could see where one could go on up to the back side of Lone Peak and other above the treeline peaks. Going beyond would be out of my expertise at this time with mountaineering.