Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove

Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove is a 14.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, UT that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

There are two trails to the top of Timpanogos. This is the Aspen Grove trail. The other trail is the Timpooneke Trail. The Aspen Grove trail initially contains many switchbacks featuring many waterfalls and amazing views. The trail reaches a beautiful meadow area with some small lakes and the well-known Emerald Lake. The trail then stretches towards the saddle across a boulder field where it joins with the Timpooneke trail offering great views of Utah Valley. The trail then travels up the ridge towards the summit.

We started this hike at 1am with a fairly slow group, and got to the peak at 6:40 just before sunrise. It was beautiful! The trail wasn't too bad until you get to the rock field by the saddle (which was rough in the dark even with headlamps). The top was very cold though.

Beautiful hike

Definitely hard and busy. Timpooneke route is better for families or those who don't mind a little more distance in trade for a gentler ascent.

I love love love this hike! It is absolutely beautiful no matter if you go early in the summer or late in September. Be sure to be prepared though. It is difficult and if you have never done it, it's best to set aside a whole day and take your time. Water is a must--lots of it as well as plenty of snacks. There's a lot of wildlife along the way and early in the summer there are many waterfalls, streams, and flowers. The different terrains keep the hike interesting. I took my daughters to the summit when they were 9 and 11. The 9-year old is now 18 and loves it as much as I do! It's a hike that I'll keep doing as long as my body can handle it :).

It was a difficult hike, but worth accomplishing. The Aspen Grove trail is very rocky as you'll be walking across some rock slides closer to the top (depending on when you go, it might change). Also, the summit is very, very windy so bundle up. We started our hike at 2am and half of our group reached the top at about 6:30am. The other half reached it at 7:30. Sleep well, eat foods that'll give you plenty of energy, and you'll have a great time! Don't forget to take in the scenery on the way down because it is gorgeous and very colorful in the Fall!

It was a great hike. We had a group of 11 and were a little concerned about some of the girls struggling. We left a little after midnight and summited around 5:30 which was a little earlier than expected. The top was super windy and even though we were all somewhat prepared for the cold it was much cooler then we anticipated. From the top we watched an amazing sunrise and began the climb back down around 7:30 and reach the bottom around 11:30. The hike down was amazing because we could see all the scenery that we weren't able to see as we climbed up in the dark. Overall it was a great hike but very challenging and I'm sure a few people from our group hate me for dragging them along but hopefully that will ware off with the soreness.

Beautiful hike with a steep grade. Very difficult, but amazing. If you've never hiked Time before I'd suggest the Timpooneke route because it's a lot easier and more beautiful.

The views were spectacular! We saw a lot of wildlife and the wildflowers were in full bloom at the end of July. I am not an experienced hiker and this hike was doable but hard. I highly suggest camping in the basin overnight to break up the hike. We were exhausted on the way down. bring plenty of water or a purifier to refill your supply. We ran out before we hiked back down.

I look forward to hiking it again in the fall! It was worth the sore muscles!

*The air gets pretty thin as you go up. I did suffer from mild altitude sickness.

nice trail a lot of people.

Spent the night at the shack at emerald lake and then hit the summit the next morning. People are loud and come throughout the night so I recommend taking a tent and setting up off trail a ways of you plan to get any sleep. Absolutely beautiful hike and the views are well worth the challenging terrain.

Spectacular views, many waterfalls, thousand foot cirques , large snowfield to slide down that feeds year round into emerald lake

Very cool hike well worth the long trek up! The trail is steep but can be forgiving at some spots! The view from the top is next level! Make sure you have lots of water and some good snacks!

Awesome hike! Get there for sunrise, it will be worth the effort.

I did this hike about a month ago and honestly it is one of my favorites in north Utah. The trail climbs most of the way fairly steep but the only brutally steep part was the 200 meter stretch right before reaching the saddle to the summit. Amazing views, high alpine lakes, and great views all around. Definitely a recommended hike!

When it says it's a hard hike, it is a hard hike. You will definitely be sore. The group I went with was kinda slow so round trip it was 12 hours. We started around 1am so we could watch the sunrise. It is so worth the view! The only part that was really challenging was the end climbing up (and back down) the loose rocks and dirt. I heard Timpooneke is a little bit easier and not as steep as the Aspen Grove side.

I love hiking Timp and have done it for years. Yes it's difficult but it's so worth it!!