The Wahweap Hoodoos Trail

The Wahweap Hoodoos Trail is a 13.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kanab, UT that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Undeveloped trail through Wahweap creek.

Our first time was a bit difficult due to not having a map and there being no trail markings. We made it about 3/4 of the way until we decided to turn around because we weren't sure if we were headed in the right direction. Second time was a lot easier, we ran a bit of the way and made tons of stops. It had recently rained so we walk through water and mud that was almost knee deep. Their is also lots of rocks in the creek, so beware of foot placement and be sure to drink lots of water. We found out that it is best to walk along the creek instead of through brush. Also we have placed a rock pile along with a piece of wood upright with a bandana tied beside the creek to where you will find a trail that will lead you to the hoodoos that I'd say are worth it. Be prepared before going on this hike, food and water would be essential. Stay alert of weather the days before, which will help you decide what kind of shoes to wear. We were able to start this walk with a couple others but they got behind and weren't able to make the whole way, so if you tend to take long stops then leave in the morning. I managed to take a 30 minute lunch/snack break at 2 different hoodoo spots and it took me 4 1/2 hours round trip. Goodluck and enjoy!

There is no trail, so the mileage was challenging at times, walking through the dry creek bed. Surface alternated between very rocky, muddy, and sandy. I did the hike without GPS, using only Topo map and compass. If you're going to hike without GPS, make sure you are very confident in your skills. There are a couple of side canyons that could lead you astray. I solo hiked in mid-May, and saw only one other couple hiking all day. It is a wonderful hike if you are looking for some alone time. Another challenging aspect of the hike was the lack of shade. It was full sun all day long, so take that into account if you plan to hike in the late summer. In summary, this was one of my favorite hikes of my lifetime, and I would highly recommend it. The hoodoos are beautiful, and I loved the challenge of off-trail navigation.