The Subway Trail

The Subway Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Virgin, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from June until October.

Long day hike to dinosaur tracks, keyhole falls and subway. Long day hike to dinosaur tracks, keyhole falls and subway. The subway is a pipe-like gorge. The trail is not maintained. The beginning is steep. The trail follows a creek. Hikers have to pass the creek a couple of times. In order to do the subway-trail hikers need a permission from the administration of Zion National Park.

The subway has two ways to do. Top to Bottom or the other way around. Top to bottom is a more technical way. It's not a hike anymore. It's canyoneering. You have to prepare a lot of gears. We did the bottom to top hike. We have to return at a set of deep pools and a cliff. But we got to see the mean course. The subway is just like its name. So beautiful and amazing. The trail is not obvious but you don't need to follow the trail. Following the creek is a better way. You can be creative and enjoy the wildness. It took us 4 hours to reach the end because we constantly stopped for pictures. Normally prepare 6-9 hours for the hike and take your time to see around.

A wildness permit need to be secured with Zion visitor center. We walked in right after it opens this morning and asked about the permit . Luckily there was a group cancellation, so we got our permit the same day as we hiked! Don't expect this in summer. A guy told me line began to form in front of visitor center before 6 am!

Strenuous 11-mile round-trip hike.

There are two ways to do this hike, up and back or top down. I've done this hike twice from the top down. Both times I've taken my elementary and middle school aged children. Before we went the first time I found it virtually impossible to get info about anyone else who had taken children on this hike. So if anyone is considering it and has questions, feel free to email me at rhetorical.teacup@gmail.com. If you go top down you will need someone to drop a car, or you can use a shuttle service in town. There are plenty of outfitters. We have used Zion Adventure several times. They have a great shuttle and gear rental for anything you need. The top half of the hike is technical, meaning you must use rappelling equipment, or at least a rope. We use harnesses and rappel devices because we had a variety of skill and strength in our group. The rappels are all very short but super fun. One goes into a waterfall. In the upper half of the hike you don't just walk in the river, there are mandatory swims. With your gear on, and the water is very cold. We have only done this hike in July. I know in cooler months some people wear wet suits. In the heat of the summer it's chilly but fun and no real problem. Although guidebooks say this complete hike is like 9 or 10 miles, that doesn't count crossing back and forth over the river 1000 times. I Strava'd our last one and it was 14 miles. Start very early!!

The most important thing to know about this hike is that it is FANTASTIC, EPIC, and it may be my favorite hike in all the world. Even more fun than the complete Narrows. I love it. You start with trails through the woods, then hike across slick rock following cairns, then scramble down rocks to descend into the canyon. From there it's hiking in the beautiful river, fun little rappels, excitement, beauty, and more fun. Plus you feel like a rock star at the end.

Put this hike on your list of awesome things to do! I'll post some pics above of just the top half since it is not really represented.

(And if you are worried about the rope sections, you can take a little training course in town the day before you go. They will get you all tuned up.)

I have 4 permits available for Tuesday September 20th. If interested lmk megan.gong.80@gmail.com

Great hike. You need to apply for a permit in advance. This is nice because very few people on trail. Not an easy hike and chilly. Keep going to the waterfall room!

Excellent! This one requires a permit that you can obtain from the park visitor center. It is a relatively long and strenuous day hike with the toughest part being the final steep climb out from the creek to the trailhead. Otherwise, the trail is mostly easy to follow, but has some sections where boulder scrambling and route finding is necessary.

Amazing

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said, I've done in a dozen times n never been disappointed.

A must do if you are in the Zion national park area. Strenuous but worth the effort. Gorgeous landscape.

AMAZING. Strenuous, but well worth it!

amazing day hike. that this is rated moderate stuns me. it's 5+ hours of non-trivial scrambling. beautiful payoff.

I have three extra permits for this Saturday, April 2nd. Contact me at bio_melly@yahoo.com if you are interested!

Must do hike if you can get a permit and have the proper equipment

My husband and I went in October. It was Beautiful but I am not going to lie it was a little difficult but worth it

Fucking awesome!