Thayne Canyon Trail

Thayne Canyon Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from May until October.

Lovely trail. I did the loop up Thayne's to the peak, then down desolation. I preferred Thayne's canyon. It's steep at points, but not ridiculously so, and being for the most part down in the canyon is beautiful. I did not find it too overgrown in midsummer 2016. Even though the peak has little prominence, it gives lovely views all around.

Like others have said, its highly overgrown trail. Knowing this, you should go in expecting a rougher hike. Going up Thaynes Canyon is also pretty steep. However, I suggest making this two a loop if you don't mind the extra distance. This trail connects to the desolation trail and salt lake overlook which makes it a much more gradual and less weedy hike. By making it a loop, like I did, it makes the hike 8 miles roundtrip instead of 6 that it would be if just doing Thaynes Canyon. You could also just do the desolation trail and make it a gradual 10 mile trip to Thaynes Peak. It was nice how I didn't see anybody on the trail and I felt like I was further away from the city, as its not a very heavily used trail. If you're up for an adventurous atypical trail, I suggest this route.

Good workout but SO many bees. Might be better to go earlier in the day.

Holy overgrowth! This trail becomes extremely overgrown. Lets also not forget the swarms of bees that surround you. When it was not Amytyville horror like, it was very steep. We took a wrong turn and ended up taking the desolation trail back down.

This is a challenging hike which is good but I wont be doing it again. Good if you want to be alone, we didnt see a soul!

i went at about 530pm on a monday. i didn't run into a single soul. there,are tons of plants growing over the path in spots which makes trail running difficult, but doable if you are persistent enough. great views of everything. even had a hawk circling over me at the peak. so far this is my favorite hike in millcreek.

This is one of my favorite hike! It is a very hard hike but worth it if you can make it to the top.

I really really liked this hike. Plenty of shade, abundant green and wildflowers the higher you get, trail has a good grade to it the only complaint I have is no water source but fortunately I was prepared carrying 6L of water for my dog and I. But stunning views of gobblers nobb, mt Raymond, wildcat ridge, triangle peak, mt Olympus, and mt grandeur from the summit we were lucky enough to catch sunrise at the top this morning

This is a beautiful hike. We went early, around 7am, and it rained the night before making for a wet but relatively bug free hike. The trail up is steep the whole way but it flattens out as it meets up with desolation trail. It is a nice loop and I highly recommend it. I wouldn't suggest bringing young kids seeing as it is so steep in the beginning and the trail gets pretty narrow at times with unforgiving drops, it could be easy to fall. (Think Princess Bride).

I have to admit, this was not my favorite. Some of it was the time of the year (summer) and there were scores of biting flies. It was pretty, was a good workout and there are not many peeps, but we bailed before the top because of the bugs. When it's really dry, there is a lot of loose sand/gravel, so sticks might be helpful.

I hiked the Desolation Overlook trail, then joined Thayne's Canyon Trail, took it to the top of Thayne's Peak, and then took Thayne's Canyon Trail all the way back down. It's really steep and has a lot of loose gravel/rocks, so make sure you have proper hiking shoes and consider bringing poles. The Thayne's Peak Trail portion of the hike was very beautiful! There wasn't very much traffic, which I appreciated. After such a rainy spring it was extremely green. The peak was also quite pretty as well, and a nice place to enjoy a packed lunch.

Beautiful trail! Lots of plant life and beautiful views of the canyon once you've gone a little ways up the trail. Not as popular as the overlook trail, which I appreciate, but you can still loop back to catch the overlook if you want. Once thayne trail becomes desolation, it leads into some beautiful mountain meadows with wildflowers and will eventually lead to a view of the city.

A great workout going up! Too many bugs and the trail was very overgrown

There are two routes leading to the top. Very steep and rocky uphill, if you pick the shorter and steeper route. Overgrown vegetation covers the trail and holes on the ground in the summer. Many runoff spots on the trail. Some maintenance is needed. Barely runnable for me...

It is perhaps fine for hiking. Cooler than many other trails nearby. Desolation trail on the west is easier than Thayne Canyon trail.

Good for a workout, nice because it isn't terribly busy, but not my favorite trail. I use it to escape busy days, but that's about it.

Thayne's is a steep climb mostly shaded and thus heavily snowed during winter and even spring months. It requires some snow gear to get all the way up. It is very challenging and doesn't offer many views if that's important to you. At the top you may connect into Desolation and come back down that way which is fun and interesting with a great overlook.

The lower portion of this trail is easy for about a mile then begins to climb steeply. It is a great trail for beginners and dogs. I agree that it is much less crowded and a good way to get to the upper half of Desolation trail. Another bonus is that it is always shaded! A nice 2 miles RT for us beginners!

I will have to work my up to the 2nd half of Thaynes and let you know when I do!

The trail follows the Thayne Canyon drainage and is a steep for more direct climb to the upper portion of the Desolation Trail. It a lot less traveled that the Desolation Trail up to Salt Lake overlook. I went up this trail and only saw 2 people. Coming down the Desolation Trail I saw 30-40 people headed up to the Salt Lake overlook