Terraces - Elbow Fork Trail

Terraces - Elbow Fork Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Salt Lake City, UT and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2.2 miles 1111 feet Point to Point

Directions from Salt Lake City: Access #1: Follow Mill Creek Canyon Road (3800 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 4.5 miles up the canyon to Terraces turnoff on the south side on the road. Follow the road up and then to the north end loop. Trail begins on the north end of the picnic area. Access #2: Via Elbow Fork. Take Mill Creek Canyon Road 6.1 miles up the canyon to Elbow Fork, the sharp right turn near the dam. Trail starts on south side of the road where the foot bridge crosses the creek.

With the gate closed, we decided to loop the trail heading directly on the road towards Terrace Fork- was well worth it- the loop up and back to the parking was about 4miles- it's one of my favorite hikes so far, up at 7000ft- so tranquil and the dogs loved it!

I hiked this trail a week ago. Nice shade and forest views. Not an easy hike,definitely moderate.

We loved it. I wish there were more trails that allowed dogs.

Nice little trail through varied, pretty terrain. Don't be expecting an easy trail though, it isn't hard but it does climb reasonably steeply through the 1st half (whichever direction you're going.

Really nice. I didn't make it all the way due to blisters but it is well maintained, gets a little overgrown in a few places but nothing too bad. Incline on the way up is moderate but not too bad. If you go before 8am you will have to park on mill creek canyon rd and walk 1/4 mile up to the picnic area.

I love this trail for running on. The overgrown vegetation makes the trail more thrilling. And the incline and decline is worth the view.

Not bad, but a bit into the hike, the vegetation gets overgrown with thorny plants. Its a moderate incline at first, then its level for a bit, then the incline again. There are some beautiful scenes straight down the mountain canyon and over the city which were great! Its a narrow path, so keep that in mind if you want to take your pups with ya. Have fun!

Made it about 2 miles up. Until we got to a super heavy vegetation and we turned back. I'm new to hiking and this was a great work out. Moderate hike for newbies. It was shaded for a good portion of the hike. Dog friendly, just check which days they can be off leash or not. Have fun!

I have small kids so I'm always looking for hikes they can take. I would definitely do this again but wouldn't take the little ones. They made it through and its beautiful but gets sketchy in spots.

Just beautiful! I did this hike yesterday with my dog. It was perfect for going on in the hot weather because it is shaded almost the entire way. It is fairly steep, but you go through such pretty forest. Bring your bug spray- mosquitoes were prevalent. I would definitely recommend this nature hike.

I enjoyed this hike a lot. Really pretty, some great views

Such a beautiful hike. these pics to it no justice. have bug spray for the flies

Whoa, this is a beautiful, but tough hike. Lots of bugs, too. Steel your kids ahead of time for a tough trek. That being said, the scenery is gorgeous and the picnic areas at the trailhead have plenty of shade.

I'd do Terraces again, but next time I'll bring my dog and not my kids. Just sayin'...

Tough from the get go. A lot of walking at a sideways angle. Levels out a bit at the top, but we did not complete it. After October 31st you have to walk up the 1/4 mile to the trailhead since the gate is closed. Will have to do it from the other end after July 1st once the road is open again, would be nice and shaded.

I really enjoy this hike! There is rarely traffic on this trail which I'm very surprised by because it's not too difficult nor too easy and it's really pretty, plus you can make it a loop which always ups the point value to me. the hike is set back inside the canyon so you don't get too much as far as 'spectacular views', but it is extremely pretty as there is plenty of greenery. I of course enjoy any hike that the dogs can join in on. I've done this hike numerous times and it never gets old. I like starting this hike at bowman fork, walking up the road to elbow fork where the terraces trail starts and then looping it down the trail and back to bowman fork. You can do it the reverse way too but it is a little steeper so it depends on what you are looking to get out of your hike.

Run the loop several times already. If tired or short on time, I would come back via the paved road making it a 5- mile run.

If not tired or short on time, I would run the pipeline trail, doing a full 6 mile loop. The trail is very well shaded and it is on the north side of the hill. So it is good for hot days. Even though the forest service is working hard to maintain the trail, there are some overgrown areas and surface runoffs on the trail. Very runnable in most places.

I would avoid mid to late summer due to excessive vegetation.

Loved this trail. Very green. Lots of climb, but with a good balance of flat stretches.