Sunset Peak Trail

Sunset Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Access #1: Take Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) up to Brighton. Via Lake Mary Trail from the Brighton Trailhead. Follow the Lake Mary Trail to Catherine's Pass (3 miles) trail where it branches off to the Great Western Trail. Access #2: Via Catherine's Pass Trail from the Albion Basin Trailhead. Follow the trail to Catherine's Pass then south on the Great Western Trail to the trail junction.

Hiked this after the last snowfall we had in early October. Make sure and wear snow boots.

Love this hike. Great for trail running. View is awesome

One of my new favorites! We hiked from Brighton past Lake Mary, Lake Martha, and then Lake Catherine. The ridge looked so close we couldn't resist continuing, and then the peak was so close we had to go all the way! It was so beautiful from the peak we spent over 45 mins enjoying the view. I can't wait to go back!

Great Trail!

The trail towards the end is super sketchy at parts... Narrow, with a drop off on the side. A little scary, but the view from the top was absolutely worth it!!! Wow, breathtaking. I started at Alta and took Albion Meadows to the Catherine's pass hike then with the last part of this trail. It was definitely rough at times just on this trail though. The last 3/4 mile is straight up in sand. Bell's Canyon was definitely easier for me, but still, I love a good challenge. This is a must see and yes, I am dying to go back already!!

Hands down one of my new favorite hikes in the Wasatch! My husband and I set out to stop at Catherine's pass, but some hikers coming down convinced us to go a bit higher for the view. We were running low on water so decided not to go all the way to the peak, but the views even a few hundred feet below are still stunning. We will definitely be back in the fall for the colors (with more water) and make it to peak.

Started from the parking lot at Brighton. Did this with four kids ranging from 11 to 6. Loved the view. The lower lakes see a lot of traffic but the farther you go the fewer people you see. We'll be back!

We started at the Albian trailhead. Nice hike with lots of windflowers. Park at Alta and either take the shuttle to the trailhead or hike up, it's about a mile hike to the trail head. It's a bit scary to the top but worth the view.

Really pretty view from the top, well worth the hike!!!