Squaw Peak Trail

Squaw Peak Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, UT that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

if you are looking for a challenge, this is a great hike. it is up hill the whole way and the second half is quite steep. extremely rewarding views.

Really enjoyed this hike. Bring a bottle of water though, it gets pretty steep once you make that trek north and loop around to the summit. Beautiful views of Provo, Utah Lake, and the canyon behind Squaw Peak.

Amazing hike, especially in the fall when all the aspens, oaks, and maples are in color. As other reviewers have mentioned, the first part is quite easy as it follows the trail up the canyon in order to put you at the back of the mountain, then it gets difficult as you actually start the climb. Easily one of THE best views of the valley, especially since you get the 3,000 foot drop off the cliff.

While the site puts the length of this trail at 7.1, by my measurement it was 8.4. Either way a great hike!

Dopest hike I've been on, started off with walk on asphalt pathway leading to the actual trail, once on trail the amount of colors in the trees, the wet cliffs as it started raining and then as the hike got higher and higher the snowfall was majestic. Then once you get up to the top the wind is blowing and the view is otherworldly, you can see the various mountain ranges with their respective snow covered peaks. Although my phone ran out of battery recording the trail with less than a mile to go so I couldn't get a picture but I didn't mind haha, make sure to bring adequate clothing as I thought shorts, and a t-shirt was good enough #couldntfeelmyhands awesome hike tho, I ran it every once in a while so it takes 1:45 to get to top, and 45 min to get to the bottom.

Took 2.5 hours up, 1.5 down. Awesome view, sunset view beautiful!

Pretty difficult and trail uneven and steep and totally worth it! Spectacular views.

5 hours in and out with a bad knee. The first third was easy going along the bottom of a beautiful canyon full of all kinds of rock formations. The remainder is consistently steep without much view until the top. But the summit view is one of the best of Utah County. The valley below is truly awe inspiring. Great hike with some unique views - will absolutely repeat!

Would have been beautiful views, if it wasn't for the fog, and snow. It can be tough, but it's fun with plenty of beautiful views along the way and at the top.

I was not expecting this hike to be very difficult, but man, it gets super steep on the last half. The view is worth it though. Take water and snacks because you will want to stop at the end.

Little dry to begin with, lots of loose rocks.
Clearly marked trail, breathtaking views. Gets a bit steep at the top for a minute.
Well worth the climb. I would rate this as more moderate than hard. My watch clocked it at a bit closer to 9.0 miles tho. (I did take a quick detour to a small cave I spotted just before the third bridge)

Beautiful fall hike! A little steep at the end but very doable! Went early in the morning while the air was still a bit chilly, on the way down the temperature was perfect! Also, early in the morning there is less traffic on the trail. Bring water! Beautiful views of he valley and the surrounding mountain range! Highly recommend this hike!!

Beautiful hike! You see it all with this hike the diverse terrain, the beautiful rock canyons and the views!!!! It's a steep one but not too difficult. Coming down is a bit rough on the ol knees though! So glad we were able to enjoy the changing leaves. Like the reviews said make sure you make a sharp left after the 5th bridge. Numbers of the bridges are on them in case you loose count!;)

Pretty steep going up but lots of shade. Views at top, amazing!

This trail is beautiful, especially with the fall colors starting to pop out. It was definitely a climb the whole way up with some pretty steep parts--It was a good workout! The view from the top is amazing! My favorite hike is still Timp, but this is definitely second in line. I love that there's a "real" bathroom at the trail head with toilets that flush. I also love that it's only half the distance of Timp, so a good option when I don't have a lot of time. Round trip took me 3 hours from the parking lot to the parking lot, and that was stopping at the top to admire the view and take pictures. I appreciate all the reviewers who warned that the turn off was after the 5th bridge because I knew exactly what to look for. I'll definitely be doing this one again!

Trailblazed this all the way up in 2 hours to see the sunset. Was very difficult but worth it !

The Y trail was harder to me. Y trail took me about 4 hours counting the stops to take pics. Squaw was under 3 hrs. The inclines were tough at spots but loved the entire trail. I'd do it multiple times.