Spanish Fork Peak Trail

Spanish Fork Peak Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mapleton, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Great views, cool forests, and one of the greenest hikes in this area! Lots of fir trees, so it smells awesome. Did it today and the fall colors and weather were perfect, the trail wasn't slippery at all.

We hiked this trail in mid-late September and the variety of foliage was absolutely breathtaking, truly some of the most beautiful I've seen and you're hiking through a lovely forest. The weather was a perfect 75 degrees and everything was as we were warned: very rocky, relentlessly steep, and slippery (dust and pebbles on the slopes), some taller steps for anyone with knee issues, and be sure to catch the proper 007 trail at the bridge going right (we also thought we might have missed the trailhead - just go all the way to the end of the campground). Good shoes and enough water an absolute must (the "lake" was entirely dry). I took 5L of water and it was just enough.

Everyone says that it gets less steep after the first 1.5 miles but we didn't notice any change except for brief respites until the basins in the lake area. The trail leading to the peak is well enough laid but the "shortcut" was not obvious (i.e. which is the one to take?) When you get to the top of the saddle and turn left after all the switchbacks, the "shortcut" veers just slightly left and looks like a cattle or goat trail along the edge. The "trail" goes slightly right and around the "front" side of the mountain with a spectacular view of Spanish Fork, Mapleton, and Springville and Utah Lake. It will feel like you're going off rather counterproductively but it meets up with the shortcut before the final brutal ascent (and frankly, it's a very nice, level trail and gives your legs a rest). The view at the top is unbelievable and worth every breathing break you had to take on the way up.

Observations: you definitely need good shoes with a thick sole and traction as the rocks are often sharper than river stones (I hiked in 5 Fingers which did not have enough sole on them), poles would be helpful on the downwards, there is less daylight in Fall than in Summer so that's the tradeoff for the heat. Between shoes and thigh muscles that weren't up to it (causing a knee injury in a fall) and coming down in the dark, it took us 14 hours. Be wiser than I was and have a great hike!

Great going up....harder going down but so worth it!

I'm a little late with this as I hiked the trail July 2nd of this year. Being a holiday weekend, I think there was more traffic than usual, but I still only saw 4 or 5 groups and one of them was a scout group.

The trail starts out very easy, but keep an eye out for the fork in the trail at the creek. It's easy to miss. It's right at the metal bench that will be on the left. Cross the creek and continue another quarter mile or so when you'll notice another branch to your left. Keep going straight here and the rest of the trail is easy to follow (minus the fallen trees across the trail).

As has been mentioned, the trail is relentlessly steep until you cross over the saddle at the top of the basin. The trail is shaded much of the way, and it is very pretty though. When I did it, there was no snow on the trail and the spring flowers were amazing.

Good shoes are definitely a must as my worn down hiking shoes were constantly slipping on the way down. I brought a water filter to top off at Maple "Lake". I ended up drinking 4 liters for this hike and would consider 3 liters a minimum with all the sweating I did on the steep hike up.

I don't know if links to outside websites are allowed, but here's my youtube view from the top.

Overall, it's a tough hike, but very pretty and well worth it. I'll be doing this one again next year.

Yes it's a great hike with incredible 360 degree views at the top, but it's very tough. Hiked it yesterday with my three teenagers. Tougher than I remember from eight years ago. With hardly any break, the steady elevation gain is relentless. Fortunately the shady beginning and the beautiful views as you approach the bowl and ascend to the peak make it all worth it. On the way down the steepness makes it sketchy in many places; be sure to have good shoes, and poles would be helpful. Also, suggest not taking the short cut on the way down; it's very steep, and didn't seem to save that much time. Toughest part of the way down though is the end -- it seems to keep going and going before you finally reach the creek crossing. In short, suggest starting very early, taking lots of breaks, and with older kids at least, plan for 8 hours round trip, which was the time it took us.

This is a great hike. I don't know how anyone could give it less than five stars. I loved the beautiful groves of trees the whole way up and they definitely helped my two golden retrievers stay cooler on the way down. Great views from the top as well. It is pretty steep but it makes going back down easy. Took me 3 hours and 20 minutes to get to the top and 1 hour 40 minutes to get back. I can't believe so few people hike it. I didn't see a single person until I was almost done and they weren't going to the summit.

It's a great hike! Absolutely beautiful definitely worth the effort!

Hard trail.. More for horses..I have done twice..steep narrow paths..softball size creek rocks a must to avoid.

Although a good hike, it is my least favorite of the Wasatch seven peaks. Nothing spectacular to view until you are near the summit and the lake is really a pond. But, any summit hike is good enough to experience.

it was absolutely beautiful . it was challenging but a great hike! definitely going to be a regular hike from now on!

Fantastic. Pretty tough hike, but I did it when I was 11, and my 11 yr old daughter did it yesterday. Be prepared with water and snacks. Also, just a note that all the locals refer to the mountain as Maple Mountain.

One of the most beautiful aspen groves in the state along this route. Plenty of opportunities for wildlife viewing. Saw three Moose when I hiked this during the fall. Very steep at the top but the trail is in good condition the whole way.

I hiked this last summer. This was a hard hike for me. I took 3.5l of water and ran out about a mile from the car. The view from the peak is great. I was able to get some cell service at the peak. I also tried to hike it in the fall. I enjoyed it a lot more even though I had to turn back before the lake/pond, do to wind and snow. The turning leaves and canyon views were beautiful. In the summer I took my hammock and hung it from the metal pyramid over the survey marker, to rest. I truly need the rest. Parts of the trail are steep, rocky, and have no shade. Some parts of the trail had all of that at the same time. If you plan to take bike it or ride a horse you should know when I went there were several fallen trees. Some at ground level some at waist and some at shoulder. And some parts of the trail were overgrown with thick vegetation. I would do this hike again, but I need to be in better shape.

It was a very rocky trail which made hiking a little slower than normal. It was definitely more than 8.5 miles - more like 10.5 miles round trip. Beautiful views to the west and east of the peak.

This was a strenuous, but enjoyable hike. The way up is relatively consistent, with anywhere between 15-20% grade most of the way. There are some areas that were quite overgrown, but the trail is still very easy to follow and you can't get lost. Additionally, be prepared to climb over, under, or around at least about a dozen trees along the trail. These are still pretty easy to navigate. I found the second half of the trail to be the best. It opens up into mountain meadows, with beautiful views of the summit and an abundance of wildflowers. About a mile from the summit, you'll come across Maple Canyon Lake. Just stay away from it. It's about as rank as it looks. Once at the summit, you get commanding views of all the peaks of the area. Leave a note in the journal in the mailbox up top before you leave!
*Disclaimer* - This trail is about 11.1 miles from the trailhead (used my Garmin and the AllTrails app). It took us about 5.5 hours to complete, but the trail is far longer than the site suggests (unless someone approves my updates).

Does anybody know if there is snow on the peak or trail ???

Difficult, but worth the view. Takes a while and you WILL be sore the next day

Distance when starting from the Whitings Campground parking lot is about 11 miles. The trail (#006) starts out with a gradual climb from the parking lot located at the very end of the campground. Initially the trail is very wide (possibly an old road) and is accessible to hikers, horses, bicycles, and motorcycles. The trial is dirt and covered in small to medium sized rocks.
After about a third of a mile the trail (#007) crosses the creek and heads to the south. From here the sign says it is 5 miles to the peak, but my GPS measured 5.4 miles from the junction. For the first couple miles the trail is fairly wide and rocky. It is covered in medium sized rocks due to decades of horses on the trail. The trail is very easy to follow and there are mileage indicators every half mile (some of these have been broken and are laying on the ground).
After about a mile the trail begins to narrow and becomes much steeper. The trail continues pretty much south in and out of the trees climbing almost the entire time. Some portions of the trail are almost entirely covered from the side by vegetation. Think of bushes growing over the trail. One benefit of all the vegetation is that up until about mile 3.5 the trail is very shady, even in the middle of the day.
At about 3.5 miles the trail opens up a bit and a little distance further heads west towards the pond. There is no outlet from the pond and horses water there so if you drink from it purification is a must. Past the pond the trail continues up becoming very steep in some sections before it switch backs to the ridge overlooking the city of Spanish Fork, UT.
From here the main trail heads South before turning East for the final climb to the summit. There is also a small shortcut trail that follows the ridge straight up to the peak.
Despite its lower elevation this is a difficult hike. Bring a lot of water as the stream on trail #007 is almost always dry and the pond is sketchy. The peak offers great views of the southern end of Utah County along with a look at all the other Utah County peaks (Timpanogos, Mount Nebo, Loafer Mountain, Provo Peak, Corral Mountain) as well as a distant view of the Uintah mountains.

This trail is brutal! My family hiked 4 maybe 5 mile to the lake below the summit. The elevation gain is 3100 feet. The trail is very rocky and is a knee killer. It took us a little less than 4 hours to make it to the lake. My children are 10 and 8 years old and have a lot of hiking experience. Very rough on the descent with many loose rocks.