Shafer Trail

Shafer Trail is a 38.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, scenic driving, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Easy. Awesome view. If you are scared of heights do not try this trail.

off road driving

I just ran this trail last week with my Jeep buddy's. It is a lot of fun and one of my favorite in all of Moab. Super easy to do. Super scenic too!

off road driving

Amazing!!! The best views of canyonlands hands down!

The views are second to none.

This is one of Utah's iconic 4x4 trails. Not for the timid because you climb up some crazy switchbacks with no guardrails. You can do it 2 wheel drive but make sure you can committ to doing the whole thing because there isn't a lot of places to turn around.

If you fear heights, stay home.

Fun Easy trail. Great scenery of the canyon

My husband LOVED driving down the Shafer Trail...but then again, heights don't bother him. Me? Suffice it to say I didn't enjoy it at all. Several vehicles on the trail. An Audi in particular was in quite a hurry to get down the trail. The driver actually tailgated us (WTH?!?) until we could get to a place to pull over. We took the trail all the way down to Lathrop Canyon where we had the canyon to ourselves. Beautiful drive. Musselman Arch worth the look-see.

I drove it from the top down after being recommended to do it that way from the Moab jeep rental place i went to. i figured they would know best. It was one of the most amazing things i ever have done. Bring lunch with you. I felt safe on the roads, i had to pull over a few times on the switchbacks down to let people pass. I would do it again

off road driving

Driven this twice from the bottom up. The first time I kept saying where is the road there can't be a road going up their. Lots fun seeing where the road climbed back up to the mesa. Beautiful views.

off road driving

I've driven the Shafer Trail several times. This first time was from Moab out past the Potash Ponds, Dead Horse Point, and up the switchbacks into Canyonlands. It looked rather scary, but was not that difficult. Another time, we drove down the switchbacks to Musselmann Arch and back, and then we went down the switchbacks and all the way to Moab.

off road driving

The Shafer Switchbacks are a series of steep and amazing switchbacks cut into the hillside that take you up and out of the canyon. They may be intimidating for people who are afraid of heights. I did this Jeeping trip with my sons Ron and Bob. We combined this adventure by traveling down the White Rim Trail to Lanthrop Canyon, a rather difficult experience in itself. On the way back to Moab, we took the Shafer Trail up to the top of Dead Horse Point and took Long Canyon Trail (scenic by itself) back to town. It was a beautiful day trip .