Sawmill Trail

Sawmill Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible from March until September.

Hiked up the sawmill trail numerous times but until yesterday never beyond the first creek after crossing over into Big Willow. Yesterday I kept going up the steep wooded slopes and beyond. The trail opened up some above the thick forested section and there were great views back down the valley. I kept going up through Aspen and scattered fir trees, sometimes steep and other times through small meadows. The Rocky Mouth ridgeline on the north side of the canyon appears almost like Bell's Canyon. I encountered another solo hiker and we encouraged one another to keep going. The trail is faint at times but the red tags on the trees and pink ribbon tape helped us keep on track. As we approached the top meadow another hiker appeared behind us. It was a man named Ted who was fit beyond belief and who said he hiked up there regularly. We followed him through the top meadow to a ridge overlooking Bell's Canyon with fantastic views of Twin Peaks, etc. It took me 4 hours up and 3 back down, crossing three streams in Big Willow canyon. My hiking app said I had gone 9.9 miles and 4911' elevation gain. Great hike but certainly challenging and on most days you will encounter few or no other hikers.

Little/Big Willow canyons and rocky mouth peak. Also Lone peak

Is this the one that starts across from the church parking lot where they shoot the harpoon gun across the mouth of the canyon to anchor the massive American flag

straight up the mountain. made it about 3 miles up then decided it was getting late. going to return and hike over into bells canyon and down wonder if the trail connects.

Steep. The wild flowers are blooming. Bring bug spray.