Sand Dune Arch Trail

Sand Dune Arch Trail is a 0.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Sand Dune Arch Trail leads through deep sand to a secluded arch among sandstone fins. Don't miss this stop, good for children. Easy hike from the parking area into a small slot canyon, but you can spend longer to explore the surrounding area. Between the sandstone fins is like a sandy beach leading up to Sand Dune Arch. There are places to explore along the way. To the left just after you go under the arch, there is a small ledge where you can climb up leading behind the arch. Slightly technical and might need help to get up from that spot. On the return to your car consider taking a hike to Broken Arch, about a mile northeast through some open flatland - watch for snakes. Look closely at the arch - the image on the left is maybe an eagle or a raven... and the image on the left might be a dog...

Loved this short little hike! It was like entering a sandy, shady oasis after hiking in the hot sun of Arches all day. Great place to take your shoes off and relax a bit. We went on a weekday in September and there was only one family just leaving and another couple. We waited for the couple to leave and had the whole place to ourselves.

Super easy and close. The first time we went was great. Second time was a holiday weekend and it was overcrowded. People were climbing all over the place and ON the arch which is illegal! Please don't destroy millions of years of creation for a stupid picture. Go to McDonalds if you want to climb on arches

Really enjoyed hiking and seeing the natural arches! This hike was a lot of fun, because you walk through a slot canyon to get to the arch and most of the trail is sand. We buried my sister in the sand near the base of the arch. We had a lot of fun!

Neat little trail. We did it towards the end of the day. The walls of sandstone make this a unique little hike. Recent fall is noticeable and pointed out by a posted sign. Hard to get pictures to show depth with this arch, but it's neat to see. We didn't have enough light to head over to broken arch, but it's visible from this trail and could easily be walked to. This is a quick, easy hike.

Very easy short trail. Gives you a hint of what a slot canyon may be like.

quick little hike to a cool little arch, I continued on to broken arch and then to tapestry arch before going back to the car

Def a cool spot. Crowded to say the least. Good for families and couples to go sit in the sand and play around under a big arch.

Great for kiddos.

A very short hike, but worthwhile.

Easy hike from the parking area, though walking through the sand is a bit of work. The nice part is that the hard part of the hiking is nestled between the rocks and is quite cool. The colors are amazing and the slow, walk is so worth it!

Great hike through some rock fins to a cool hidden arch

This was one of my favorite areas in the park. It's a taste of "The Narrows", and it's just a short walk from the road. It's easy to overlook as you're passing by, as you can't see the arch from the highway and have to hike in. Take your shoes off when you get into the sand and soak in the awesomeness of nature!

A short hike between rock fins to a very sandy area featuring a hidden arch. Great lighting for photographs and a little shaded in the afternoon. Great place to let your kids play. The wind can blow the sand through here on windy days, making it uncomfortable.

Short hike different kind of arch

A good walk. I ate lunch here with a group of friends in an open area near the arch. It was beautiful weather, sunny, clear skies. There were some locals hanging out in the canyon, playing Mumford & Sons. We ate our sandwiches, and listened to them practice. It was great. Another two minute walk and we were to the arch. It's beautiful, very photogenic. I set my camera on a tripod, and climbed to the top of the arch to take cheesy photos with my group. Clouds came in pretty fast, and the wind picked up exponentially. It became a sandstorm, then a monsoon. I felt like one of those storm chaser guys grabbing my tripod and equipment. We completed the return trip in record time, and played cards in the car until the storm passed (about ten minutes, because it's Utah). I can't think of a better lunch in my life.