Rock Canyon Trail

Rock Canyon Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, UT that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Look for the Rock Canyon Trailhead Park, not to be confused with Rock Canyon Park. The Trailhead Park is often confused with the Park at Rock Canyon where there is a large grassy hill called The Bowl. You want to go to the parking lot area that you see in the Aerial view.

bike it watch out snake

A great hike that feels like a workout. I find it boring if I'm alone, the views are great at parts but nothing spectacular -- bring a friend and chat the entire way up and it's awesome.

My 5 year old can make it to the first water fountain, but not without a lot of complaining.

A decent hike. We did it in a little under 3 hours pretty much without stopping. You start breathing hard at some points but it's pretty easy overall. Only thing is, there's not much of a view at the end of the hike (and leads to a campground you can drive to). If you're looking to take some good pictures, hike squaw peak, which shares about half of it's trail with this trail.

I've done this trail a few times, it's got a lot of shade throughout so much so that when I go in the late morning I hardly have to worry about the sun. Very beautiful, moderately challenging and fairly empty.

I love this hike I do this with my kids almost weekly

This was a great trail! The terrain is rocky almost the entire way so I definitely recommend good sturdy shoes. We were a little confused about where the trail started from the parking area because there wasn't a sign, but someone pointed us in the right direction. It actually starts as a paved road. Once you finally make it most of the way there's a gorgeous view looking down over the valley and Utah Lake, then just a few more feet to a small clearing off the path and another beautiful view of the mountainside with a stream flowing down. You could call it good here, but if you want to finish the trail you're almost there. It will quickly turn into a narrow dirt path through a nice meadow and end at the campground right where there is a bathroom. Shaded for the majority of the way so even in yesterday's heat it was doable, and 2 water fountains along the way with natural spring water allow you to fill up your bottles.

Beautiful hike! Lots of shade and greenery. Nice for trail running. The further you hike in, the less people you see but even then not too much traffic on a weekday morning. Two water fountains along the way. One of my favorite trails!!

Hiked with 11 month old son and 2 y/o lab. Well shaded, wide path that crosses over a babbling brook a few times farther into the hike. There are both bridges and creek crossings along the path. Fun to take our dog to the stream (there are a number of places to do that along the path).

Hiked on a Saturday morning and the trail was not as crowded as I expected for being in Provo. Hiked Stewart falls a few weekends previous and that trail was much more crowded.

Lots of shade. Water along most the way. Pretty easy hike.

Nice hike with lots of cover as you enter the canyon. The stream crossings were nice as i got to wet my hat if i felt hot. Not sure how far i went but after a constant hour of hiking i encountered some mule deer turf and found the views!!

After the first half mile in the sun, it's nice and shady and fun. There's even a drinking fountain made to sprout out the natural spring water.

One of my favorite areas to hike in Provo! Lots of off shoot trails to explore and lots of areas to hike and rock climb.

It was nice morning hike I went til the camp site but 5min before had a beautiful overview, the only thing I didn't realized is the downhill, I have a sore knee I didn't know why all the people run back, now I know... Ouch

Lots of gravel on the trail which was tough to maneuver. Loved walking along the river and you are in shade most of the time making it ok for later morning hikes. Lots of bugs.