Spectra Point and Rampart Overlook Trails

Spectra Point and Rampart Overlook Trails is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brian Head, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September.

Located at 10,350 feet elevation, Cedar Breaks National Monument makes a nice reprieve from the summers heat found at Zion National Park and the Grand Canyon. Cedar Breaks is host to only two trails, the Ramparts Trail which includes Spectra Point and a circular 2 mile Alpine Pond Trail. The Ramparts portion of the trail starts at the end of Spectra Point amidst the Bristlecone pine trees. The 2 mile round trip path is well maintained but steep, making this portion of the trail more difficult than the moderate Spectra Point portion of the trail.

Amazing views! The trail to get to Ramparts Overlook is pretty easy because it's all downhill but a little tougher uphill when coming back. Trail can get really muddy.

Pretty easy for most hikers when dry. The view is great. Best for summer and early fall.

It is a very beautiful hike with thick pine on one side and brilliant red rock on the other. Very few people on the trail so you get to relax and enjoy the sites and is relatively easy. Bring bug spray though, got bitten a few times even with spray.

Amazing. Moderate trail with breathtaking views! This is one of the prettiest trails I've done.

I didn't hike the entire length of this trail, got just about as far as Spectra Point before an approaching thunderstorm made me head back to the visitor's center. This trail along the rim offers amazing views of the canyon and surrounding areas. I've lived in Utah all my life, hike in the mountains. On this hike was the first time I ever noticed the altitude having an effect on me. It wasn't much of an effect but at over 10,000 ft it does make it a bit harder to catch your breath at times.

Beautiful views and an overall good hike.

Nice hike, pretty views of Cedar Breaks.

Good hike. Great views. The hike in and of itself isn't too difficult but being at 10,000ft. makes it harder. It will definitely get you breathing hard.

Very nice

Awesome views, alpine surroundings, great temperatures!

Didn't really intend to hike the whole trail at the time--so glad that we did! My daughter and I started out at the Visitor Center with the intent of going on the Alpine Pond trail. It was our first day in Utah and the 10,000 elevation was like cotton in my ears. The view even at the Visitor Center is absolutely gorgeous. We were just going to go to the first viewpoint and then headed all the way out to the end of the trail. Quite a bit of up and down and into the forest. It was late afternoon and we only encountered two people on the trail. Several animals delighted us--marmots, deer, squirrels. The contrasts of color along the trail was wonderfully appealing as was the beautiful vista! We particularly loved the Bristlecone Pines.

Great trail. Moderate difficulty. 4 miles total if you go to the second overlook. A little of everything. Beautiful overlooks, wildlife (marmots), flowers, pine forests. A bit steep in parts and 2 feet wide in some other spots with steep drop offs to the side of the trail so not for anyone with impaired mobility or young kids. Overall beautiful place.

Nice hike. Definitely worth the time if your are visiting Cedar Breaks National Monument. The views are spectacular and there are many wild flowers along the trail.

This was a spectacular view of the Cedar Breaks Amphitheater. The hike was about 4 miles round trip with the majority of the up hill climb on the return trip. I thought is was moderate to easy and did the whole walk in under two hours. Great scenery.

I waited until my next to last day in Utah to do this trail. The Visitor's center is due to open on June 7, two days after I was there. This trail will take your breath away! ( over 10,000 ft elevation). Some very good views along the way.

Amazing views. Not for those scared of heights! That said great views can be enjoyed early in this hike - the whole thing is spectacular. Even the ranger visitor center offers fantastic views.