Porcupine Rim

Porcupine Rim is a 28.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, UT that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and is accessible from April until December.

Excellent trail. Brutal uphills starting out, but totally worth it for ~15 miles of downhill awesome riding. Would highly recommend 29er FS for this trail. Worth it to rent an awesome bike and enjoy the ride.

Amazing trail with great sights. The best trail I have ridden by far!

Saw photos a friend posted of this place and had to go see it for myself !! We did some hiking here but mostly camping and just taking it all in as its AMAZING !!! A must see !!

One of the best if not the best trail I have ever road. This trial combines slick rock type sections with staircase rhythms and sand swept corners all making for a great ride. This trail can be road in many ways but my favorite and recommend is doing just the down hill. Would highly recommend

What can I say about Porcupine Rim that hasn't already been said. Over the summer my friend and I took a cross country road trip / mountain biking trip......We've had Moad on our brains for about a about year and finally we got the chance to make this trip happen. We were not dissapointed with Moab or PR. Some of the most epic rides of the summer happened in Moab! If you visit Moab you have to hit this trail up! Stunning views of the canons, awesome down hill runs....some parts of the trail will have you cruising downhill on a narrow legde with a few hundred feet below you...awesome...awesome...awesome riding!

To start out this trail is very physically demanding. And can leave you exhausted for days. This trail is for experienced riders only!
Bring lots of water and snacks. Get used to the 105 degree weather and make sure you are willing to let your 4000$ bike get banged up pretty bad. Also expect small drops . Sand and a nice cliff to the side of the single track.
Make sure you and your bike are tip top shApe before you ride

My Experience

I am all too familiar with the Porcupine Rim Trail, the first time I did this trail, I was stoked for a whole week. The Porcupine Rim was also nominated as last years Mountain Madness 2008 Best Trail in the USA.
This trail is Fantastic, Brutal and Mental, if you or your bike is not 100% in top form, you should give this trail a wide berth!! Highly technical, physically very demanding. Numerous mountain bikers have died on the Porcupine, and when riding it, its easy to see why. But, it is definitely a trail that every serious mountain biker should have on his/ her list of Must Dos

Up at 7 am, and was on the trail by 8.am. Just like the first time, I love this trail, this time around I felt I was in top form, and I was darting around like a greased whippet with a flea up his arse, then my derailleur hanger broke, and my world came tumbling down. I always carry spares, but by now I was a bit more cautious.
The trail is very demanding for both bike and rider, carpets of 15 inch Dragons Teeth pointing in every direction, just waiting to rip you and your bike to pieces.
The singletrack section of the Porcupine is where most people get hurt, on this section there is no room for error, and any form of hesitation or last minute change of mind and you will definitely pay the price.
Do not attempt the Porcupine Trail if you and your bike is not in Top Shape. But if you and your bike are up for it, you are gonna have one of the best rides you will ever have.

Other Info:

Traffic on Trail : no one
Wild Life : who needs wildlife on a ride like this!?
Scenery : Absolutely Fantastic 360 degree 3D Scenery
Other : Start early, make sure you and your bike are in top shape. People have died on this trail, DO NOT become a statistic.

My Trail Rating : 9.5 / 10