Pittsburg Lake Trail

Pittsburg Lake Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Midway, UT that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a 2.4 kilometer hike that takes 1 hour to finish. Activities include hiking, camping, and fishing. Dogs are allowed on this trail. Features along the way include rivers, a waterfall, and a lake. It's obstacles are rocky.

I was never able to reach the lake because the road that leads to it was an offlly treacherous road. it was an old dirt road that was used for mining. It climbed along side the mountain, some areas were a steep drop off, and the road went for about 6 or 7 miles till it came to a complete stop. to reach the lake you would have to hike at least 4 miles one way. I don't know if there is another route but I would definitely recommend taking a razer or ATV up to the lake.

The directions on AllTrails took me to the wrong spot...it wanted me to drive down this path of huge stones and the 7 miles of rocky road I had already went down was already pretty terrible. It was super pretty along the way though and I ended up hiking on some trail that led to Mineral Basin but I never found Pittsburg Lake after going about 3 miles in. I'd love to find the lake sometime and figure out if there's any other road there! I was driving a Kia Soul but I'd definitely recommend driving something much bigger than that.

Went to go hike this trail - drove there in my car. Just a heads up, the "dirt road" to the trailhead is 6 miles of basically a riverbed with large rocks jarring out all over the place. Got about 1.5 miles in before I decided to turn around because it wasn't worth bottoming out or popping a tire, as it continuously seemed to get more treacherous.
Everybody I had passed, was either in a Truck, Jeep, or other SUV. Lots of 4Wheelers cruising along too. Would HIGHLY recommend getting there in one of these, and not a car or low-clearance vehicle.

Pretty steep but 100% worth it! Definitely would do it again.

I give this 5 stars purely because it is so secluded where everywhere else is getting so busy these days. This is a steep and rocky hike, which does make it a bit challenging. But it's totally doable and totally worth it! Just remember to pack out what you pack in!!

super steep. but magnificent!

My favorite hike because you never really see folks up there and it's peaceful. Water is ice cold but after you jump in you will feel refreshed. Lots of fish up there. You gain elevation in a shirt period of time. Lots of loose rock on the trail so be careful coming down.

Loved it

Super awesome hike. The loose rocks and steep incline is what's rough in parts, but the hubby and I did it with our 5 and 9 yr old. Definitely worth the hike!

A short but steep hike. Great scenery that ends in a lake you can jump in and cool down.

Short and fairly steep, but remote and incredibly gorgeous. Fun view of Devil's Castle from the south.

geocaching

It's one of my favorite hikes there is! It's not long but definitely gets your heart pumping because of the elevation gain in a short period of time but not many people are up there. I have some cool pics on Instagram of this place @dan_the_mountainman

This small lake is packed with fish! There are several primitive campsites around the lake. The hike is a bit rough through the middle third. We made it with two 9 year old boys. The area itself is full of fun and adventure for children, if they can make the hike. Be careful in the way down.

Not a kid friendly hike. Our 4 year old did it but complained the whole time. It would be a great hike without kids. Beautiful lake and scenery.

Beautiful scenery, but the middle section is STEEP and ROCKY. Going up and coming down are challenging though this section. Poles will help. The lake itself is stunning and teaming with small trout. On the way up you see the top of the Snowbird Tram and Mineral Basin. The trailhead can be hard to find. Guidebook says 6.1 miles up from Tibble Fork turnoff to the right and cross the stream.

fly fishing

A great hike but definitely strenuous. This winter was mild so I didn't hit snow on the trail until the last quarter mile or so. There was just enough ice melted around the lake to fish it and they were definitely cooperative.

Nice easy 1-2 hour hike to a beautiful lake. A bit steep half way up the trail, so take water if you're in the summer heat. Great fishing in the lake, albiet small trout--great time!

I do this route every year. The first half of the trail is brutal. Steep, loose, and exposed to the afternoon sun. The lake has small Brook trout, and I have caught (and released) as few as 20, and as many as 70 in a couple of hours fishing using a small fly. The boarding house has been torn down by careless hikers (mostly scouts) to burn or build rafts. The mining office is almost gone for the same reasons. Someone recently tacked a tarp around two sides to enclose the shack once again.

This is a family favorite. The trail is steep and rocky, but short enough for my 5 and 9 year old to hike it. The lake is beautiful, the water is so clear that you can see all the little fish swimming around. It would be a great place to camp.