Peekaboo

Peekaboo is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blanding, UT that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Needles Visitor Center: Drive westward along the main park road. Turn left before the campground to reach Squaw Flat Loop A Trailhead. From the trailhead follow the Squaw Canyon Trail 1.1 miles to the southeast and a junction with the Peekaboo Trail.

Challenging hike, with spectacular scenery! Very interesting canyon to explore. The last 2 miles out the hike becomes an adrenaline rush as you hike above the canyon floor, traversing the rocks,

This trail has it all: walking through flat land, going down into a canyon, climbing out and hiking up to peek with rewards of the amazing panoramas and pictographs.

I highly recommend this hike!

Deep sand. Not good for hiking.

Hiked to and camped at Peekaboo this past March. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of this hike and would recommend it if you are in good shape and have some hiking experience. This hike is located in the Needles area of Canyonlands. Permits are limited as there are only two campgrounds. I would advise on calling ahead of time to check availability. You will have to take a bear canister with you (may rent one). Be prepared to climb down two ladders and pay attention to the trail markers. Be careful descending the second ladder. There is a steep step-off about a foot or two after you get to the bottom. The ground looked level from the top, and I had about 50lbs on my back. When I stepped off, I nearly fell backwards but managed to save my fall.

Make sure you do not step on the cryptobiotic dirt. I ignorantly went on the trail without knowing, and I thought I was doing a family a kindness by stepping off the trail to let them pass. I learned real fast how important the dirt was. The dad looked like he wanted to kill me and rage attacked me with some really impressive crypto dirt knowledge. Now, I now know how important it is to our ecosystem and how it takes centuries to grow back when stepped on.

Located in the canyonlands national park, I had a great time. It was really hot though.