Peek-a-boo, Spooky, and Brimstone Gulches

Peek-a-boo, Spooky, and Brimstone Gulches is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escalante, UT and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November.

very fun. however do not take dogs. took my dog here about 6 years ago. bad idea. lifting her around the obstacles was very hard. she did not enjoy it. also avoid this place during stormy weather. I was there on a clear day. but if your in there when a flashflood is coming you will die. so think ahead

I went with a group of friends and ended up hiking Peek-a-Boo and Spooky Gulches -- fun, but challenging! There was quite a bit of standing water, mud puddles to be exact, in Peek-a-Boo and by the time we were done we were muddy messes. I can't imagine doing this alone because we had to help each other get over some of the walls. Spooky had some tight places and only one challenging spot were a climbing technique was needed in order to get over a drop that was about 5 feet. Oh yeah, rope helps!! Overall this was a great hike and yes I would gladly do it again!

Went last week right after a big rain.
Spooky was dry but ended up waist high in spots in Peek-a-Boo. I lost my camera I think in a water puddle, so if you happen to find it please let me know. It's water proof. Had a great time. We ran into a tarantula in Spooky which made it even better!

The best and *most accurate* description of these canyons, with waypoints and topo map reference, can be found at http://climb-utah.com/escalante/dryfork.htm. We followed that info last weekend and had no problem finding our way - our experience was exactly as described there.

Bring a 4x4 because we got a flat on the way. The slot canyons are fun to adventure through. Make sure you have this app bc it's pretty hard to find the trails without it

I have taken my kids on many hikes. This is the one they still remember and talk about all the time. I took my dog as well. I don't recommend taking dogs. Too much climbing and scrambling.

FUN, FUN!This is my kids favorite hike definitely in my top 5. challenging from start to finish, getting into Peek-a-boo is no easy task, couldn't imagine doing it alone, very hard to crawl up with all the loose sand, Next big challenge is climbing down into Spooky need a little chimney climbing technique , or take a leap of faith a few feet down, probably should be in at least a little bit of shape to do these, I am far from super fit, but you do need to use a few muscles!

This was fun to hike through the narrows. The hardest part is the walk to the narrows opening and the drive there. Travel there is 22 miles on dirt road. This same dirt road will take you to Hole-in-the-rock.

We had so much fun with this loop! Head out early, by the time we were to the second canyon (at 11AM) we hit traffic in Spooky and had to wait for groups to pass us. Parking was easy. Bring lots of water. I don't recommend taking more than a camel pack as some of the slots are pretty tight. I had to carry my backpack in hand for parts of it.
Overall amazing and definitely want to do this hike again.

Absolutely incredible!!

Peek-a-boo was gorgeous! I little tricky at the beginning but easy after that! Spooky had some tricky parts. Defiantly need to help the kids out if you bring small kids. The slot part was pretty tight. Can get a little claustrophobic in a few parts after the drop through the hole. Very fun and beautiful!!

So much fun. We did it anti-clockwise, but everyone else was going clockwise. We only did Dry Fork to the left, but it was really neat and wide for those who are claustrophobic. Definitely bring a small backpack.

Fun! We took rope and we're glad we did! Bring plenty of back up water.

I thought at one point that we might not make it in one piece. The entrance to Peek-a-boo is very tricky. It might not work for many people, given the erosion of the sandstone rock.

But if you get through the entrance, you will be OK to go.

We were lost at the turn to Spooky, since almost everyone told us it was easy to find and my GPS did not work properly for the moment.

We had to go back Peek-a-boo again. Almost dead at the end.

My son and I hiked here in Oct 2014. Went up spooky, crossed over, then came down peek-a-boo. Amazing hike, but if you are bigger (like me) it is very tight. We then hiked up Dry Fork until it was shallow enough to climb out, then went cross country back to the trailhead/ parking lot. Take lots of water, but in many spots you and your camelback will not fit through. When crossing back from the top of Dry Fork, keep looking west to see the Hole in the Rock Road in the distance and use this as your reference to find your way back.

A must.

Peek-a-boo and Spooky are second-to-none slot canyons. Very fun and worth the drive/hike. In all seriousness, if you are a bit bigger, Spooky might not be a good idea. It is extremely narrow. If you go in early spring you will likely not have the same levels of crowds and heat.

awesome hike - sweet slots, scraping, crawling, climbing, teamwork, spectacular! - this hike makes even the long washboard Hole in the Rock Road worth it!

Very fun, nothing to add that hasn't been said other than Hole in the Rock Rd is approx. 27 miles one-way to the trailhead with a fair amount of washboard.