Lost Hunter Trails

Lost Hunter Trails is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alton, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and horses and is accessible from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

There are prettier hikes and longer hikes near Navajo Lake and Duck Creek, but there aren't many like Lost Hunter, a loop hike with little elevation gain that can be done in two hours. Lost Hunter is in thick pine forests and grasses. You're almost guaranteed to see deer somewhere on the trail. From the trailhead in Duck Creek Campground, you will quickly come to a fork. Go right and then go uphill until you come to a Forest Service Road. Turn left and follow the road a few hundred yards until you see the hiking trail again on your left. Follow the trail downhill and back to the campground. Turn left to return to the parking area next to the trailhead and amphitheater.

I absolutely loved this trail! It has been one of the best hikes I have done in a long time. It had beautiful views of meadows, aspens, pines, and distant hills. This hike had quite a bit of an incline so I felt like this one kept me feeling nice and active. Had a bench under a huge tree that is enjoyable to just sit at and take in all the greatness. The trail is a loop, but you kind of have to search for the other end of the loop. After finding it I could tell it was definitely the road less traveled which made it quite beautiful. However after taking the full loop, the trail ended in a different area than where I started at, and I managed to navigate my way through on the trails but ended up getting lost in the campsite looking for where I parked. So just keep that in mind if you find and take the full loop.