East Rim Trail to Observation Point

East Rim Trail to Observation Point is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, UT that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

This is a strenuous hike to the highest point in Zion National Park. You look down on Angels Landing and have a sweeping vista of the main canyon that makes up Zion. It is a stunning view.

Hiked Thanksgiving Day. Switchbacks pretty much define this trail, however at no point did I feel that there was any real danger for myself or my 11yr old. We took our time and stopped for a long lunch and some exploring in the slot canyons (which was our favorite part of the trail). Unfortunately we started too late to finish the trail (needed extra 45mins and it was getting dark) though the more fit & driven wife ditched us and made it up and back in time.
Was surprised how busy it was on Thanksgiving Day, but the views were absolutely worth it. Saw a bunch of mountain goats on the way back just off trail

Spectacular views at observation point. Switchbacks for days but diverse views (weeping rock, echo canyon, Zion canyon views) along the way keep it interesting. For fit folks not taking breaks, up takes 2 hours and 1.3 hours coming down. If you have time stop by hidden canyon on the way down.

I've been to Zion 6 times now and Observation Point twice. The first time was as a side trip from the East Rim Trail and the hike up from there was grueling after 10 miles on the East Rim. I'm not afraid of heights but I was already weak by the time I got to the switch backs and the exposure made me nervous. Still a great hike and well worth the view!

There is a better (in my opinion) way to get to Observation Point; Contact one of the local adventure companies and pay $25 for a one way shuttle to the East Mesa Trail head, from there, it's a short 3.2 mile flat hike out to Observation Point with views of Mystery Canyon and other views along the way. When you're ready to head back, take the normal route down through the switchbacks, past echo canyon and down into the park where you can take a free shuttle back to your car at the visitor center. This is a much less strenuous way to see Observation Point and still see the beauty of the main trail up from the valley.

This place is amazing and the view is breathtaking. Make sure you bring a lot of water. The hike itself is moderate but long enough to make you thirsty

Loved this hike. Definitely got my heart pumping. I loved the variety of scenery and the short walk through Echo Canyon was breathtaking.

The map and reviews here are for Big Bend to Observation Point, NOT East Rim to Observation Point, there is a HUGE difference.

Definitely a lot of elevation gain all at once, but an absolutely awesome, varied, beautiful hike. Go early so you don't have afternoon storm clouds threatening you once you're on the top so you can sit and enjoy it.

We LOVED this hike! It was hard but so beautiful! I loved the changes in scenery and the little break in incline through the canyon. I'm so glad we did this hike; it was quiet, peaceful, and less crowded than other hikes in the park. The view at the top is stunning!

Great hike if you like uphill :) First mile plus is a 1000' elevation gain on many switchbacks. Then it flattens out through a slot canyon and then climbing again to the top. Great views of the valley plus some that most people will never see to the east of the valley. Start early since there is a lot of sun on this trail.

My favorite hike to date!

Awesome hike... Did it a few years ago solo after I left a friend at Angel's Landing to rest and spend a few hours taking pictures. Higher up it was a little dangerous with a lot of rubble on the trails. The trail is very narrow in places with drop offs of more than 1,000'. Very interesting look into all the little plateaus that maybe have never been walked on. The day I was there several military planes were flying overhead doing sky trails for at least an hour. Simply added to the enjoyment of the day...

This hike is a hidden gem at Zion National Park. Take plenty of water and plan on this hike taking most of your day if you are in average shape. It is difficult but well worth it.

This is a delayed review from October 10, 2015. I found this hike to be very challenging. Looking back almost a year later I can say this is the hike that inspired me to loose weight and start getting in better shape. We started early in the morning to beat the heat. You will be exposed to full sun for much of this hike. The view from the top is amazing. I hiked with a great group of friends Tom Saxon, Stephanie Saxon, Seth Saxon and Jeff Friend.

Incredible hike! This hike should definitely not be done on a whim (as I did myself after hiking hidden canyon).

Beautiful hike. Beautiful scenery along the way. look down on angels landing and the canyon. Done this one a few times.

Great hike! Be sure to pack plenty of water and a snack for the summit!

It was a BEAUTIFUL hike with unbeatable views of the canyon. Bring plenty of water and start early because most of the hike is exposed and it gets very hot. After you pass through the canyon, there is a tiny trail marker. That is the halfway point on the trail. If you are way tired or if you don't have much water, reevaluate because it's steep but manageable switchbacks in the sun. It's worth the hike and it's manageable, just plan accordingly!