Mule Hollow Mine

Mule Hollow Mine is a 0.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

old growth

Four abandoned mines. Mine car rails still protrude from the collapsed shafts, and one still has a partial (not enterable) shaft. No structures remain except for cabin foundation rubble. Steep in places, short but climbs rapidly. Good shoes are a must, and trail finding skills would prove to be a big benefit. Stick to the creek, and you shouldn't have much difficulty finding it when it reappears. Not suggested for small children. One you reach the first mine tailings, to reach the other three are on the other side of the creek, and will require some bush whacking (though they aren't far!) to reach.

I definitely want to try again next year in late spring, before the vegetation grows over the trail. To get to the mine trails is definitely longer then .5 miles. I didn't know it was going to be so long, so we didn't take headlamps. I was looking for a quick hike to go on with my daughter for our weekly visit. It was the wrong hike for that but it was fun.

please note: dogs are NOT allowed in this canyon at all, this is Big Cottonwood water shed. we heard the fine is $650 no warnings. I'm not sure why this says dogs on leash?

Really pretty right now, the views across the canyon are beautiful! We couldn't even find the mine though, maybe we didn't look hard enough...

Nice short hike. Mostly shaded and climbs steadily, crossing the river bed frequently. There was basically no water, but would be nice to do in the spring when there should be some water flowing.
The end opens up to a decent view at the site of mine. Not one of my favorites, but still nice all the same.

This hike climbs moderately through shade and trees along a trail that is sometimes very rocky and other times a very smooth dirt or shale. It follows the stream bed at times and other times the trail runs parallel. Today there was no water in the stream bed to worry about. There were many fallen trees that required going over, under around and through which always adds another dimension to a hike. Wish it wasn't so smokey and see where we had hiked up Stairs Gulch a few hours earlier.

This hike is a nice escape from the valley after work. The trail follows a stream and is mostly shaded with diverse vegetation. The trail crosses the stream several times so depending on the water level and skill at hopping a rock or to, you may get your feet wet. There are some places with a few fallen trees that you must navigate around, over, and/or under. At the end there are some remnants from a small old mining operation. The view as you descend on your return offers some spectacular views across the canyon. The trail was not crowded at all. Well worth it.

Moderately difficult trail. Multiple stream crossings, fallen logs, rocky areas. Was difficult to find trail for last 0.2 miles. Mines were less impressive than I expected. Beautiful view from the small plateau with the cart rails.

Nice after work hike. Spectacular views. The trail is shaded and has lots of vegetation which could lead to overgrowth later in the season. I would rate this hike moderate due to obstacles such as fallen trees, multiple stream crossings and some rocky spots. Fun and worthwhile.

Pretty hike. Was rough terrain; not Easy. You have to hike across the creek over and over again. I slipped and feel while crossing and got pretty wet and banged up.

Definitely a lot harder than I expected. It was overgrown, and hard to keep on the right path. Crossed the stream many times, climbed over fallen trees. Actually went twice, the first time I gave up, then the next weekend when I went I just pushed myself and I was able to make it to all 3 mines. Super beautiful though and amazing to see the mines and imagine their history. I wish I could read somewhere about their history.

Did this hike on February 16th. Not much snow until the first mine. The top of the tailings pile was completely covered and only a small portion of one mine car rail was visible. Will have to come back when the snow is gone. I lost track of how many times I had to cross the stream to stay on the trail. At least 15 for the whole hike. Definitely wear long pants, no matter what time of year it is, since the trail is overgrown in many places. Was a nice hike with gorgeous views of Storm Mountain.

Steeper/harder than I had first imagined. The trail was quite overgrown at times but
there was a lot of pretty scenery along the way.

Trail climbs steeply with only a few breaks. Crosses the water a couple of times but there wasn't much water this time of year. Only made it to the first mine

This was a bit harder than I expected. short but decent climb and it crosses the creek a ton. Only made it to one mine, the trail after is very over grown, if we had long pants we would have gone further. Great views and fun if you don't mind getting your feet a little wet.

If you like trails that you can explore, this would be a good one. This is a lightly used trail that is unlike most of other trails in the area. The scenery is different, but still nice. I had to hop over quite a few downed trees to continue following this trail. About a mile into the trail, past the mine car rails, I could only find one mine. I wasn't sure if this is where the trail ended, but this is where I decided to turn around because everything was so overgrown. I might hike this trail again to see if I can find all four of the mines.

Gorgeous hike. This trail is currently very overgrown, so long pants would benefit all. Many places the trail seems to die out, but keep looking and keep moving up the mountain and you will finally get to all the tailings and you're there. Gorgeous views from atop, only able to find one mine filled with water.

Strenuous, pretty short but with a really good elevation gain. This trail is not frequented much, and is good if you're looking for a more "solitude" type experience. The trail disappears often, and routing-searching skills would be a good benefit. I've met many people who've never found the mines, despite multiple efforts. The views of Storm Mountain are incredible. Good shoes and water are a must!