Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3, climb up 4,000 to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

Challenging hike, exacerbated by the fact that the snow was hip height! Offers greats views. Would suggest going with someone who has climbed it before (especially if in winter).

Great trail so much fun

Killer hike. Cool view from the top and super rewarding once you get up there. Be careful once you reach the saddle and climb up the rest of the way. Lots of crumbling rocks.

Great hike for the summer! Bring lots of water if you plan on hiking in the early afternoon as it does get pretty warm on the trail. Steep climb, but the hike is worth it! Beautiful views from the top

Beautiful views and a great workout! Easy to access too.

Tough trail, but the payoff is well worth it!

So, I took this trail during a snowstorm this past Sunday (not the best idea). Honestly,it was not a difficult trail until the last mile. Partly because of the incline but mostly because the snow started dumping heavily and I was without poles or shoe spikes. Needless to say I was using the tree branches along the path as anchor for the final ascent. I had zero grip on the way down so I essentially slid down the mountain. The snow had accumulated so much it was a soft ride down.

I hiked this on 11/26. The first half of the hike is not too bad. The second half was steep & snow/ice covered. Once you get to the saddle, you have a welcomed break (flat land) for a short distance and then you have to scramble up (maybe 600-700 ft?) to the summit. Tbh, hiking up wasn't too bad. I knew it was going to be difficult. The hardest part for me was hiking down between the saddle & the half way point. It was steep and very slippery even with trek poles and spikes. If your doing this in the winter, I recommend crampons with a minimum of 8 teeth for the descent. I wouldn't have eaten it so many times if I had better spikes/crampons haha

Hiked this on Thanksgiving 2016. The first snow of the year was the day before, but the weather was warm and clear. About a foot of snow once I reached about 8000 ft. The last 500ft, commonly referred to as the "scramble", were treacherous. Views from the top were amazing! Saw some mountain goats at the Summitt. Recommend doing this without the snow:-).

Sheila and I started off with head lamps at 04:30. By far the most difficult hike I've been on. I read the reviews before attempting it. I figured 3.5 Ltrs would be fine. Wouldn't need a hat or sunscreen because the ratings said 5 plus hours. Let me tell you, it took 12 hours out and back. The last mile plus is a 45 degree angle. Stair master.....the scramble was a bit scary up and down but, doable. there was a 5 year old girl that made it with ease. (pissed me off lol) I'm 60. you can hear I-215 at the top :( I can now say I made it to the top of Mt Olympus. Thanks Sheila :)

One of the tougher hikes I have done. Took me 3h15m, went at pretty good pace. Push to the summit involves a bit of scrambling, nothing too difficult.

Hard but fun!

steep but with great views at the top! took 4 hours round trip so need to plan another day to try this again

First time, loved it! Bought BAFX hiking poles on Amazon just for this hike due to hearing how rough on the knees the descent is. Poles worked great, saved my knees. I'm 6'2",195lbs, would consider myself an intermediate hiker in pretty good shape. Completed in just under 5 hours with abt 40 min spent on summit, and a couple 5 min stops. The views from summit are so worth the strenuous ascent. I brought 2 liters water and wished I had a little more, even though the temp was an incredible 60 degrees. Will do it again for sure, after my quads and calves recover!