Moab Slickrock Trail

Moab Slickrock Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, UT and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November.

off road driving

Every serious Mountain Biker from around the world, knows, or has heard about the famous and notorious Slickrock Trail in Moab. It was this trail that put Moab on the map, and turned Moab into a mountain biking mecca that brings 1000's of mountain bikers from around the globe to Moab. The Slickrock Trail is VERY well marked with painted white lines like the middle of a highway, and there are yellow caution markers and black diamonds to warn you of deadly sections ahead. Be sure to watch for these warnings after you hit the main loop at mile 2.5. Hills on the trail are short, but grueling and very steep. If you let you momentum carry you it could get you into trouble on twisty sections with off-camber turns, but mostly it is momentum that will allow you to ride up the really steep stuff. Traction is fantastic, except when wet or icy. Watch out for winter! Trail Surface: slickrock, obviously, with a painted white line guiding you into the most outrageous situations. At times it is like riding on the outside edge of a 300-foot high basketball.

very difficult but not a lot in terms of technical; bring lots of water; take pictures

Definitely not for beginner Mtn. Bikers!! Practice loop is a good testing point!!

off road driving

Like this trail for technical obstacles.

Don't like how crowded it is when I have been there.
I ride dirt bike ( non pedal ). Gets frustrating when all these pedal bikes are on a motorcycle trail

This was the best and most unusual mountain bike experience I have ever hard. Riding on sand stone the whole time!

Fun mountain biking trail.

Fun trail spent two days. 1st day on the main trails 2nd day on the minor trails. Went in the fall

This trail is very fun and and pretty easy compared to porcupine rim. It's fun to see what you can clime jump or ride its like a giant skate park but a trail and you hardly see anyone.
Expect to wreck a couple of timed but it war worth the ride!

Very good trail to start off on. Most any rider can do it but you can make it as hard as you want. It's fast with lots of ups and downs, best for a cross country rider. The slick rock is a unique experience and you won't believe some of the hills you can climb because of the amazing traction. I spent the entire day there, playing on the slick rock and taking pictures with the beautiful scenery.

Very steep ups and downs! Scary cliff edges! But really fun! I just started mountain biking about 3 months before I went, so the trail was pretty difficult for me. Be prepared to have your butt touching your back tire on some of the steep downs. I wish I had a cross country mountain bike, it would have made this trail a lot easier. The steep uphill sections were so intense on my downhill bike, I had to walk it a few times.

Ok this is a very cool trail,but you need to be anexcellent climber on your mountain bike,saw no one hiking it and a few motorcycles on it,whatever you do do not take the "alternate routes" they suck bad...If you do this trail plan to do the entire thing or just turn around and go back.It was fun but not for beginners..

My Experience

I remember the very first time I did this trail, after reading the books about how extremely difficult and dangerous the Slickrock trail was, I was actually scared even before I did it, I actually considered not doing it. Once on the the trail, I thought, what the fcuk is all the fuss about!!
The Slickrock is without any doubt a FANTASTIC trail, but I still do not know why it is rated as dangerous, compared to Poison Spider or Porcupine the Slickrock is a doddle!!.
Personally I think that this trail is rated on a Moab Tourist scale and NOT on a Mountain Bikers scale.
Any intermediate mountain biker should not have any problems at all with this trail.

Conclussion

The Slickrock is the most famous and notorious trail in Moab, and probably the USA. It is a fantastic and unique trail, but it can be a friggin Zoo!!

I set my alarm for 6.00am determined to finish the ride before the crowds arrived. At 7.30 am I started the ride, with no one else at the trailhead.
The Slickrock is an absolutely wonderful and unique ride, almost 13 miles on 100% slickrock, and if that is not enough, just venture off onto the spurs, and you decide the milage. As mentioned above, in my books this is an easy and tame ride, and 100% rideable.
I spent 3 hours on the trail before I saw another person, then they came from everywhere, luckily my time was up, and I had an absolute fantastic time. By the time I got to trailhead, it was completely full.