Maybird Gulch Trail to Maybrid Lakes

Maybird Gulch Trail to Maybrid Lakes is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, UT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The hike starts at the White Pine Trailhead and is suitable for beginners. The trail is well maintained and signed. A paved path leads from the parking area to a footbridge over Little Cottonwood Creek. The route follows a old 4-wheel drive track, which is now closed. The trail climbs to the southwest into White Pine Canyon. One hundred yards after crossing the footbridge the trail forks. The right fork leads down to a stream side meadow, take the left fork, which climbs upward. 1-mile from the trailhead the trail meets the stream in White Pine Canyon. The 4-wheel drive track continues to White Pine Lake, the signed trail to Red Pine Lake and Maybird Gulch crosses the stream on a footbridge 50 yards upstream. After crossing the stream, the trail leads west in a rising traverse around the ridge, through a wooded section, into Red Pine Canyon. As you cross the ridge between White Pine and Red Pine Canyon you enter into the Lone Peak Wilderness Area. The trail continues up Red Pine Canyon until the trail and the stream in Red Pine Canyon converge at the Maybird Gulch turn-off. This trail junction is 2 1/2 mile from the trailhead. The trail to Maybird Gulch crosses the stream on a footbridge. The trail to Red Pine Lake continues up the east side of the Red Pine stream. The trail to Maybird Gulch cross the footbridge at the trail junction makes a switchback as it climbs the hill and heads west as it crosses the ridge into Maybird Gulch. The trail continues climbing steadily to Maybird Lake, which is the end of the maintained trail.

Don't expect a lake there are two small ponds

I loved this trail. It was chilly in the morning and perfect in the early afternoon. The Red Pine trail is CRAZY busy but once we got onto Maybird trail we saw 3 other people coming down who spent the night up there. I would rate this as a moderate hike and honestly I would do this hike over and over again. It was beautiful! The rocks by the lake have a ton of bees which was mildly annoying but it's nature, what are you going to do. An amazing view of Pfeifferhorn which was great to look at from the hammock.

Great trail to get away from the people. We saw no one at the lake! The trail is not as well maintained in the upper sections so use your spidey senses and pay attention. Good 7.5 mile workout and lots of sunshine. The bugs have settled down and were not a problem. I am looking forward to visiting this lake again, we saw several Pica!

Incredible way to get away from the crowds headed up to Red Pine and White Pine Lakes. The wildflowers are unbelievable, the lakes are breathtaking and the hike is a great workout (get ready to get your heart rate up after the footbridge, it gets steeper). Flies at the top were in full force, but still enjoyable.

Hiked this trail this morning. Took about 4 hours round trip. Beautiful hike! A little steep at parts but tons of wildflowers and one pretty AMAZING view of the Pfeifferhorn! Will definitely do again! Also...tons of bug (flies) everywhere near the top. A little annoying but the view was worth it.

I loved this hike but it definitely isn't an easy stroll in the park. Once you take the last fork (over the footbridge where the trail splits from the Red Pine Lake trail) it's pretty steep most of the way. But it's beautiful with wildflowers all around. I saw a couple of people coming down as I went up but I didn't see another soul while I was at the lakes and what a beautiful setting! They are situated in Maybird Gulch with the Pfiefferhorn looming over head to the east. The lakes are mostly surrounded by boulder fields. It took some scrambling over those giant boulders to get a good look at the lake to the south which as a little island in it with pines growing there.

My GPS app I use when I hike said this hike was 8 miles (but that did include me wandering around the lakes a bit).

I don't know what that review below was smoking but by the time I made it to to juncture between Red Pine and Maybird we were tired. And Maybird is steep. Haha beautiful hike and the wild flowers were just showing off. 24th of July and there are both lakes, no snow. Definitely less traffic. 2.5 hours up (lots of picture taking) 1.5 hours down

Great hike with pretty views! The lakes at the top were super clear and beautiful. For this hike you just follow all the signs for the Red Pine Lake trail. Once you are about 3/4's of the way to the top the trail will branch. One way will continue straight and the other way will branch off with a bridge taking you across the river- take the bridge route to get to Maybird. I only saw ONE other person on this part of the trail! Also- the flies on the trail right now (July 22,2016) are horrendous.

Beautiful and we'll worth the hike. Lots of people going to the other lakes and only encountered a few this way.

Loved it. Once we reached the point where it veered off from the Red Pine trail, we didn't encounter any other hikers. Got to do some Boulder hopping at the gulch and the views were amazing. It was a steady climb most of the way, but nothing terrible.

Trail was clear all the way up on 6/25. the trail does not follow the map on alltrails and the hike is around 8 miles out and back

Trail was well maintained until about the last .6 miles or so which was still covered in snow! Lake was beautiful and totally worth the hike up, and we did see three moose down by the parking lot.

Excellent easy trail. Went 1 mine in to nice creek. Others said they saw some moose. Great view of mountains.

Seems they are now maintaining a different path than the one shown on the Alltrails map. While I still wound up at the two lakes that are shown on the map, my track deviated significantly from the alltrails route and I was following a maintained trail, as evidenced by the sawed fallen logs, etc.

East of the known lakes there are a few other minor bodies of water, but you have to climb to get there.

If you're looking for solitude this is the destination for you. The Red Pine trail is always crowded but as soon as you cross that foot bridge and leave the Red Pine trail...instant solitude. I only saw one other person and that was on my way back from the Maybird Lakes. There are supposed to be two lakes up there but today, 9/12/15, there was only one. The upper lake was bone dry and looked like it had been for a while. Lots of animal tracks all over the lake bed. Both lakes are very small but are probably very pretty in the early summer when that upper lake actually has water in it. Neither lake is very deep. The views of Twin Peaks and the Pfeifferhorn are well worth the effort getting there. Not really a strenuous hike but the worst part is the Red Pine portion of the trail. You'll be glad you did this one.

Hiked up Maybird Gulch on 8/5/15. I had done Red Pine before and was curious to see what the Maybird Trail had to offer. I absolutely loved it. Doesn't seem like many people hike this trail. Once I left the Red Pine Trail, I ran into 3 people coming down from Maybird and didn't see anyone else until I got back down to the Red Pine Trail. I had the lakes to myself while I was there. The lakes may be small, but they offer a lot of bang for the buck. The views surrounding the lakes are excellent, with an amazing view of the Pfeifferhorn! Took me about 2 hours to reach the lakes and a hour and a half getting down. The Red Pine portion of the trail is tough for me, so that's why I listed this as demanding. Otherwise, the Maybird Trail isn't bad at all. You basically cross the ridge from Red Pine Canyon into Maybird Gulch and from there it's a moderate hike to the lakes. If you want a little solitude from the crowd at Red Pine, head up Maybird. You'll enjoy it. I know I will do this hike again.

Hiked Maybird Gulch today really enjoyed the solitude. Left the trail-head and 6am and didn't see a single person until get got back to the Red Pine/Maybird Gulch Junction. We pass a stream of people from the junction down with almost everyone heading up to Red Pine. This trail has a great view of Little Cottonwood Canyon and the Phifferhorn

I have been hiking the Wasatch Mountains all my life but for some reason never hiked to Maybird Gulch before. Because it's a less hiked trail and the snow had been melting, there were no tracks to follow in the snow. Being on snowshoes that wasn't really an issue since we knew roughly where the trail should go. Because of lack of time we only make it to the ridge where we were able to get a great view of the Phifferhorn. I can't wait until summer and go up and spend a night in this beautiful basin.