Many Pools Trail

Many Pools Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

A nice moderate unmaintained trail on the East side of Zion. For those who like the leisurely laid back trail of Emerald Pools, but could do without the bumper to bumper traffic, Many Pools is for you. Only sightly more difficult (not a maintained trail) Many Pools offers the beginner hiker (and family) a glimpse into how wind and water create slot canyons. Sometimes this hike is referred to as "Root Canal" because of the shape on a topographical map. I have also see it referred to as "Twins" or "A Thousand Pools". I found the trip to be easy - moderate and I enjoyed seeing the back country on the Eastern Side of the Canyon. If you continue up the Many Pools Canyon you will (after much bushwacking) connect with the Deertrap Mountain Trail. Be WARNED that this portion of the trail is considered strenuous and not for Beginners or Families.

This trail is a hidden treasure of Zion National Park. Not really a trail it's more of an open canyon made of sandstone. Therefore there's a decent amount of rock scrambling, but nothing dangerous about it. That being said, the kids loved this hike more than any other in Zion. The rock scrambling was more like a playground than a hike for the kids.
The trail is appropriately named. There are several dozen pools that all connect to each other and flow slowly from one pool into another. And they are all gorgeous. We also saw a herd of big horn sheep up on the bluffs above us.
FYI, I've only visited this trail once and it was in February when there was snow run-off in the mountains above to supply the pools. I've heard that in the summer the pools become dried up some what and full of pond scum (which doesn't sound as pretty).

As a family hike goes, this was pretty great. We were fortunate to have perfect weather and the entire hike was completely ours. Still, for our four kids family (6 to 17), the hike gave everyone great views, some minor scrambling and much to do as we hiked past the many small, but interesting pools.

Many Pools was my first hike (off the beaten trail) in 2011. Beautiful spring day. I just wish it would have lasted longer!