Many Pools Trail

Many Pools Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

A nice moderate unmaintained trail on the East side of Zion. For those who like the leisurely laid back trail of Emerald Pools, but could do without the bumper to bumper traffic, Many Pools is for you. Only sightly more difficult (not a maintained trail) Many Pools offers the beginner hiker (and family) a glimpse into how wind and water create slot canyons. Sometimes this hike is referred to as "Root Canal" because of the shape on a topographical map. I have also see it referred to as "Twins" or "A Thousand Pools". I found the trip to be easy - moderate and I enjoyed seeing the back country on the Eastern Side of the Canyon. If you continue up the Many Pools Canyon you will (after much bushwacking) connect with the Deertrap Mountain Trail. Be WARNED that this portion of the trail is considered strenuous and not for Beginners or Families.

This was a fantastic trail that is off the beaten path with Zion NP. The directions are wrong, the hike is about a mile east of the second tunnel when one is heading from Springdale. The hike itself is fairly easy if you have shoes with traction as the hike is mostly on slanted rock. The pools are very pretty although the water is pretty stagnant so i would not recommend swimming in them.

This trail is a hidden treasure of Zion National Park. Not really a trail it's more of an open canyon made of sandstone. Therefore there's a decent amount of rock scrambling, but nothing dangerous about it. That being said, the kids loved this hike more than any other in Zion. The rock scrambling was more like a playground than a hike for the kids.
The trail is appropriately named. There are several dozen pools that all connect to each other and flow slowly from one pool into another. And they are all gorgeous. We also saw a herd of big horn sheep up on the bluffs above us.
FYI, I've only visited this trail once and it was in February when there was snow run-off in the mountains above to supply the pools. I've heard that in the summer the pools become dried up some what and full of pond scum (which doesn't sound as pretty).

Loved the hike! Could have entered where I parked and taken a short trail under the road, looked like many have done that. Saw just a few people, great rocks to hike on somewhat steep at times but only for a short time. Saw a herd of Big Horn sheep that walked right past us.

As a family hike goes, this was pretty great. We were fortunate to have perfect weather and the entire hike was completely ours. Still, for our four kids family (6 to 17), the hike gave everyone great views, some minor scrambling and much to do as we hiked past the many small, but interesting pools.

What a great place to take my grand children. They couldn't get enough of it. There is so much to do and see and the views, Wow! we had so much fun playing on the rock and looking at every pool. They didn't want to leave!

Many Pools was my first hike (off the beaten trail) in 2011. Beautiful spring day. I just wish it would have lasted longer!