Malan's Peak Trail

Malan's Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, UT that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

rock climbing

hot springs

Located on the east side of Ogden, the summit of Malans Peak offers dramatic views out over the community, the Great Salt Lake and the surrounding mountains. The trail is signed and easy to follow. The route is somewhat steep, but not too bad. Take it slow and anyone can make this hike. There are excellent views at several points along the trail, and so you don't have to make it to the summit to enjoy a hike here. Strong hikers can continue past the summit into Malans Basin, which is a popular camping spot for backpackers.

I have hiked this trail a few times and the view at the end is so worth it! The full hike kicks my butt, but some nights I just do half of the hike to the "faux" peak.

Great view. Well shaded in the fall.

Beautiful fall hike with the exception of being attacked by dogs. A woman had two pit bulls off leash who charged my wife and I. We kept them back with hiking poles for a few seconds. Then they split and were circling us as the owner was acting as if it was no big deal. They were barking, snarling and lunging. At this point I drew my pistol and the owner finally took the situation seriously. This situation ended with no-one being injured. Be careful up there. Our hike was not as fun as we had imagined it would have been due to a very irresponsible dog owner. We love dogs and have three of our own. The last thing I would ever want to do is shoot a dog, but I will not allow my wife or myself to be mauled by dogs.
I highly recommend this easy hike to the top otherwise. It has a beautiful scenic overlook above Ogden and the Wasatch Range.

Fun if you go 1/2 mile past peak to basin you'll see remnants of the old resort.

not to bad of a hike excellent view when u get to the top

From 27th street TH to Malan's Peak is 2.4 miles one way. The trail is a 45 degree hike most of the way and there is a rocky ledge you need to scramble over for about 100 yards , there are 5 switch backs before coming out on top to Malan's peak . We continued on to Malians Basin a very easy hike down to a small bowl . There's a sign telling about the basin and if you look around you'll find an old steel steam engine pretty neat . 1.5 miles one way .
If your really feeling great continue on following the creek bed the trail is very hard to follow , watch for small stacks of rock and Pink plastic streamers to show you the way . Bushwacking 101!!!
The trail peters out and now your on your own to find your way up the 60 degree incline upward to Mt Ogden Peak . We ran out of day light .
Shorts are great for the hike to the basin but long pants are suggested from there up .
Rattle Snakes are still out Sept 30,2016

Very beautiful hike work the huffing and puffing to get to the top. I went when there was a large group of tourists and they were eating lunch on the peak so couldn't get a good overlook of Ogden. I would definitely do it again and I would probably go backpacking next time

Great trail and beautiful views

Absolutely beautiful in the fall. It's 3.5 miles to reach the peak though, so 7 miles round trip from the parking lot on 29th Street.

This is a Hard hike for 2 miles then it turns to easy ..
From the parking lot of north Ogden divide heading up to the ridge line . The trail is very steep , lots of roots and rocks on the trail a few switch backs but mostly just a 45 degree hike up .
Arrived at the ridge line the trail goes up the Hogs back of a very long and steep mountain , the trail is In Great condition . (Note : from here on take the trails off to the side , they go around the steep mountain .)
Heading to the left towards Ogden on each cross section , Lewis peak is a bald mountain top .
Overlooking the Ogden valley below capturing an awesome view of Ben Lomond Peak and Willard Peak to the north .
You'v bagged a peak time to head back
Round trip 11 miles

I love this hike. It's got beautiful views and is pretty windy up on top. I would classify this one as moderate to hard. The switchbacks are kind of difficult. As with the previous review, I've never seen the hot springs either. If they are there, I'd love to know where to find them.

Great hike, personally would classify it as hard not moderate. Never seen any hot springs, so not sure where that came from. Great view from the top, very steep climb the whole way there.

i like to go back one more time because its a nice view up there you can see really close the antennas in the tip of the mountain

Definitely one of my favorite hikes. There is an amazing view at the top which makes the whole thing worth it. It was so beautiful. Very enjoyable trail all the way up.

Another pastime favorite. Avg 2 hrs for completion from start to finish, unless you decide to chill for a bit and enjoy the view, then about 3. ;)

Beautiful. It was a good climb that had my heart racing on the way up. The views were lovely along the way and spectacular at the top. I liked that much of the trail was shaded.

Awesome hike. It is well worth the view.