EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail

Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Calf Creek Falls is one of the most well known and unique features in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The trail follows Calf Creek to the 126' high falls. The hike is 6 miles round trip and takes average hikers 3-4 hours. Elevation change on the trail is minimal, but the trail is sandy and walking can be strenuous, especially in hot weather. In contrast, the falls provide a delightfully cool, shady haven which makes the hike well worth the effort.

31 minutes ago

We drove down the night before so we could camp nearby (the first-come-first-serve campsite near the trailhead was full so we found a free primitive site 15 min. north). We got to the trailhead at 9am and got the last parking spot. The trail was beautiful and shaded half the time. The falls were very cool and refreshing! When we got back the parking lot and all along the road was jam packed for free Public Lands day. Normally there is a $5 day use fee and camping is $15/day. Dog friendly although we didn't have dogs I ended up carrying out pet waste. Please "pack it in, pack it out" and Leave No Trace, thanks!

me and my husband loved this hike! especially since the dogs got to enjoy it with us :) definitely worth going to if you are in the area!

I drove 5 hours just to see this waterfall. Well worth it!!! I didn't want to leave

Very cool to see a Water fall in the middle of a desert type area, that alone makes this hike worth it. Hike isn't overly tough, but for for some reason it does feel like 6 miles, not sure if it was the heat on the way back or what, You do seem to always be going up or down a small hill, definitely a rolling terrain,Should be done at least once. Go early if you are doing it for a photo op, gets busy later in the day, you wont get a shot without people in it

Favorite place on earth. Been here more times then I can count and will be there again.

I loved this hike, even though I found it to be a little more difficult than the designated "easy" thanks to the heat. I'm a decent hiker, but not from the desert. If you're not used to the heat, make sure you carry plenty of water (of course) and be aware that there isn't much shade until you are down far enough for the canyon walls to block the sun. It is beautiful. The waterfall and swimming hole are incredible, though — take a dip and you won't be hot on the trek back.

It's southern Utah, so it's all good. Bring a bathing suit.

The thick sand and the heat (mid-June) were tough but the reward was more than worth it!

Went on the edge of the offseason (late April) and crowds weren't bad at all, but did get some rain. This hike has a lot to see along the way (pictographs, sheer rock faces), and with pretty much no elevation gain, the mileage goes FAST. And the payoff – the falls – is definitely worth it. They seemed larger in real life than they even looked in pictures.

Easy hike, but highly trafficked beautiful waterfall. Gotta jump in as soon as u get there cause you'll cool off quickly.

Great family day hike if you are in the area! The trail is easy and the waterfall does not disappoint. The kids loved all of the sites along the way!

Breathtaking! Pack a lunch, maybe a bathing suit, I would not consider difficult, just be prepared for ups and downs and walking in sand and also climbing rocks moderately. Stream along hike was great. Falls are amazing. I would do this hike on a daily basis if I lived in area.

Beautiful scenery and lots of rock formations to explore. Well shaded and the destination is awesome. Plan on walking through mostly sand, my daughter changed into her chacos halfway and said it was much better.

Well marked hike with markers pointing out various sights alongside the trail.
Carry plenty of water, take the kids, take your time, and spend some time at the falls.

love it! So fun to see native American paintings on the way to the falls.

Always a fave!