Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail

Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Calf Creek Falls is one of the most well known and unique features in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The trail follows Calf Creek to the 126' high falls. The hike is 6 miles round trip and takes average hikers 3-4 hours. Elevation change on the trail is minimal, but the trail is sandy and walking can be strenuous, especially in hot weather. In contrast, the falls provide a delightfully cool, shady haven which makes the hike well worth the effort.

1 hour ago

Such a fun hike. The falls at the end is so rewarding. It's rated as moderate, but most was fairly easy. We got to the falls in less than an hour. Temperatures stayed around 35-40*. My husband and I only saw a few other hikers. This time of the year is worth it if you want to beat the crowds. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I did this trail in late July. I started at 8am and had no trouble parking. When I returned to my car, though, there were people just idling in the lot waiting for a spot, so get there early!

The hike itself is pretty flat and stays relatively cool because it follows a river through a canyon. Watch out for critters in the brush, I got creeped out more than once doing this trail alone. The falls are spectacular! Take a swim, but be warned that it's snow melt and is freezing cold! I spent a couple hours swimming and the drying out in the sun and repeating. The area surrounding the waterfall and the pool at its base are all fine sand.

Around 11 a lot of people started started showing up, so I left. On my way back, I encountered a lot of families; it looked like it was going to get pretty crowded.

Wonderful trail. Many colors of sandstone from almost white to red. Green trees and a beautiful waterfall with a multi-colored pool and if you are fortunate a blue sky with fluffy white clouds but unfortunately not today. Only saw five people on the trail instead of the endless like of people in the summer. Great time to visit this time of year and have the waterfall all to yourself and be able to take pictures with no-one in the pool.

This is a easy fun trail. I hiked it on 12/17/2016 and found it enjoyable though a little chilly which was expected. I only saw one couple throughout the whole hike.

Awesome. I would rate it as beginner. Easily hiked by all age levels. Waterfall is amazing.

Gorgeous waterfall! Loved walking in the water, so refreshing ! Very straightforward trail.

Nice trail with informative markers along the way; trail did get boring to me at times. The waterfall is well worth the wait to get there. I went in early October so the water was cold but the falls were beautiful none the less.

We drove down the night before so we could camp nearby (the first-come-first-serve campsite near the trailhead was full so we found a free primitive site 15 min. north). We got to the trailhead at 9am and got the last parking spot. The trail was beautiful and shaded half the time. The falls were very cool and refreshing! When we got back the parking lot and all along the road was jam packed for free Public Lands day. Normally there is a $5 day use fee and camping is $15/day. Dog friendly although we didn't have dogs I ended up carrying out pet waste. Please "pack it in, pack it out" and Leave No Trace, thanks!

me and my husband loved this hike! especially since the dogs got to enjoy it with us :) definitely worth going to if you are in the area!