Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Draper, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Climb to the top of this 11,000 foot Wasatch Peak which rises above Salt Lake City with a massive glacial cirque. This is a fairly strenuous climb to the top of one of the tallest peaks of the Wasatch Range. Reaching the cliff-lined summit will require some scrambling up steep slopes and over boulders. Follow the track in this guide closely to find your way up a variation to the top that takes you up a steep coulouir. Bring a camera as you will have specatacular views.

Beat

Fun, long, and scary scrambling at the end..this comes from and experienced climber and hiker. Only do the last 1/4 mile if you feel truly comfortable with cliffs and scrambling

I know this route to Lone Peak is shorter than the Orson Smith/Cherry Canyon Logging Trail but it is not as satisfying. At times it is confusing when branches of trail suddenly break off. Portions of the trail are narrow with a v-shape deeply carved into the dirt. And lastly, the steepest sections offer a troublesome layer of ball-bearing pea gravel which makes ascent/descent difficult and almost dangerous. Once the Jacobs Ladder trail reaches Enniss Pass the worst part is behind you.

It was as many said before me a difficult hike! The decent was more challenging than the ascent in my opinion.

Yes, this was one of the hardest hikes I've been on. Yes, it was difficult, steep, long, with drop off cliffs at the end of steep scrambling over giant boulders. It was also one of the most spectacular hikes I've done! I highly recommend it. If you have a fear of heights (like I do), take a friend who can talk you through it. Tell yourself you can make it to the top.

September 10th, 2016 was an amazing day with cooler temperatures, no wind, and sunshine. I've never seen so many people out to make the ascent. We summited around 10 am after a 6 am start. Loved every minute!

This is an amazing hike. It kicks your butt but it's amazing. The views are spectacular

awesome hike!

Strenuous and awesome.

Give yourself time to get lost. The cairns are not always easy to follow. Also, do not follow the Google maps to the trailhead!

Fantastic, but very steep. Started raining on the summit, turned heavy with hail while in the cirque coming down. Summit in 7 hours, down in less than 4. One more off the list!

Difficult hike. Google maps took us way away from the trailhead. watch out for thunderstorms! they move in quick.

Did anyone find a woman's coral windbreaker along the trail? My Black Diamond Alpine Start hoodie fell off my pack on the way down on Sunday. So sorry for accidentally leaving this behind in this pristine wilderness. I hope some finds it and carries it out and either gets some good use out of it, or contacts me please please please! (email me: kelsadkins@gmail.com)

As far as the hike goes - did this hike on Sunday 8/14 for the first time. The climb up Jacob's Ladder is steep, but thankfully we started at 6am before the sun came up, and that is for sure the way to do it. It was cool, shaded, and the time flew by quickly. As soon as you reach the Draper Ridge the cirque comes into view and the terrain becomes more varied; think - giant granite boulders scattered across grassy meadows sprinkled with pine trees...aka Heaven! This hike is truly gorgeous, one of a kind! The cirque is incredibly stunning. The scramble along the summit ridge was not as daunting as I thought it would be, Pfeifferhorn was more technical and longer than this one, in my opinion. We reached the summit a little before 10am. It was cool in the sun, with no wind, very exposed up there, so be careful. Be sure to soak up the views od Utah valley, SL valley, Timp, Box Elder Peak, Broads Fork Twins, and all the beautiful Wasatch ridgelines. We hiked down in 3 hours, and like other's have mentioned going down Jacob's Ladder is rough - by far the hardest part of the hike for me, my knees were feeling it. I brought 3.5 liters of water, and only drank about 2.5. A lot of people were hiking up Jacob's Ladder around 12-1pm, when we were coming down, which I think is nuts because it's south-facing and hot as hell. If I was hiking up at that time I would have needed more than 3.5 liters of water.

This is an amazing hike! It was much harder than I had anticipated, but the summit was spectacular as well as the cirque below. I took 4 liters of water and it wasn't close to enough for me (I'm a pretty big guy though). Just about everyone we ran across was out of water toward the end as well. Just to reiterate what has been stated below, do not use Google Maps to try to get to the Jacob's Ladder trail head.