Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Draper, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Climb to the top of this 11,000 foot Wasatch Peak which rises above Salt Lake City with a massive glacial cirque. This is a fairly strenuous climb to the top of one of the tallest peaks of the Wasatch Range. Reaching the cliff-lined summit will require some scrambling up steep slopes and over boulders. Follow the track in this guide closely to find your way up a variation to the top that takes you up a steep coulouir. Bring a camera as you will have specatacular views.

I know this route to Lone Peak is shorter than the Orson Smith/Cherry Canyon Logging Trail but it is not as satisfying. At times it is confusing when branches of trail suddenly break off. Portions of the trail are narrow with a v-shape deeply carved into the dirt. And lastly, the steepest sections offer a troublesome layer of ball-bearing pea gravel which makes ascent/descent difficult and almost dangerous. Once the Jacobs Ladder trail reaches Enniss Pass the worst part is behind you.

It was as many said before me a difficult hike! The decent was more challenging than the ascent in my opinion.

Yes, this was one of the hardest hikes I've been on. Yes, it was difficult, steep, long, with drop off cliffs at the end of steep scrambling over giant boulders. It was also one of the most spectacular hikes I've done! I highly recommend it. If you have a fear of heights (like I do), take a friend who can talk you through it. Tell yourself you can make it to the top.

September 10th, 2016 was an amazing day with cooler temperatures, no wind, and sunshine. I've never seen so many people out to make the ascent. We summited around 10 am after a 6 am start. Loved every minute!

This is an amazing hike. It kicks your butt but it's amazing. The views are spectacular

awesome hike!

Strenuous and awesome.

Give yourself time to get lost. The cairns are not always easy to follow. Also, do not follow the Google maps to the trailhead!

Fantastic, but very steep. Started raining on the summit, turned heavy with hail while in the cirque coming down. Summit in 7 hours, down in less than 4. One more off the list!

Difficult hike. Google maps took us way away from the trailhead. watch out for thunderstorms! they move in quick.

Did anyone find a woman's coral windbreaker along the trail? My Black Diamond Alpine Start hoodie fell off my pack on the way down on Sunday. So sorry for accidentally leaving this behind in this pristine wilderness. I hope some finds it and carries it out and either gets some good use out of it, or contacts me please please please! (email me: kelsadkins@gmail.com)

As far as the hike goes - did this hike on Sunday 8/14 for the first time. The climb up Jacob's Ladder is steep, but thankfully we started at 6am before the sun came up, and that is for sure the way to do it. It was cool, shaded, and the time flew by quickly. As soon as you reach the Draper Ridge the cirque comes into view and the terrain becomes more varied; think - giant granite boulders scattered across grassy meadows sprinkled with pine trees...aka Heaven! This hike is truly gorgeous, one of a kind! The cirque is incredibly stunning. The scramble along the summit ridge was not as daunting as I thought it would be, Pfeifferhorn was more technical and longer than this one, in my opinion. We reached the summit a little before 10am. It was cool in the sun, with no wind, very exposed up there, so be careful. Be sure to soak up the views od Utah valley, SL valley, Timp, Box Elder Peak, Broads Fork Twins, and all the beautiful Wasatch ridgelines. We hiked down in 3 hours, and like other's have mentioned going down Jacob's Ladder is rough - by far the hardest part of the hike for me, my knees were feeling it. I brought 3.5 liters of water, and only drank about 2.5. A lot of people were hiking up Jacob's Ladder around 12-1pm, when we were coming down, which I think is nuts because it's south-facing and hot as hell. If I was hiking up at that time I would have needed more than 3.5 liters of water.

This is an amazing hike! It was much harder than I had anticipated, but the summit was spectacular as well as the cirque below. I took 4 liters of water and it wasn't close to enough for me (I'm a pretty big guy though). Just about everyone we ran across was out of water toward the end as well. Just to reiterate what has been stated below, do not use Google Maps to try to get to the Jacob's Ladder trail head.

Don't use Google maps to get to this place. just got to the Orson trailhead then take the dirt road to Lone peak trail. The hike was incredibly difficult, I still can't walk. The view was worth the pain. P.S. watch out for the thunderstorms!

8/6/2016

Plan 8 Hours for pictures and Resting Stops

It can be done in 4 hours if you jog/run and 6 hours at a good hiking pace.

Steep for long stretches and a gradual incline in other areas. This hike is an incredibly beautiful and fulfilling hike!

Bring a lot of water 2-3L should be good.
A lunch and trail snacks are nice for energy and not getting Hangry.

Hiking poles can be nice to help save your knees and Ankles on the way down.

Bring good shoes with traction. It will help a lot when scrambling over rocks at the top.

Directions : Google will take you a weird way if your not careful and watching your map when driving to the trail head. Ghost falls trailhead is right next to Jacob ladders trail head if google will not find Jacobs Ladder. The easy way to drive to trail head is driving to Orson Smith parking area and then driving the dirt trail up to Jacobs Ladder.

The hike is very steep in the beginning but will level off through some really pretty meadows and then get steep again. The final climb is scrambling over rocks on the spine of the mountain to the top.

Follow the cairns and it will help you not get lost. The trail seems to disappear at times.

We started at 8am and got done at 5pm because we got caught in a Hail and Lightning Storm. Normally would not take that long but we lost the cairns on the way down and had to find shelter on the side of the Mountain from the the storm.

Don't mess around up on the peak! A boy fell off and died two weeks ago.

Enjoy this amazing hike!

The most difficult, most rewarding hike in Utah, in my opinion. Each time I finish the hike I tell myself "never again", but there's nothing that compares with standing on that peak. And if you live in Salt Lake or Utah valleys, you can't escape it's view. It taunts you. Climbing Jacob's Ladder is a beast, but from there through to the cirque and up LP is AMAZING. Unbeatable views. The last 200 yards across the ridge is pure bolder hooping, scaling, sliding, and shuffling, with daunting 500ft cliffs a few feet to each side. Take it slow and you'll be fine. What really gets you on this hike is walking back down Jacob's Ladder to the car. It is so steep for so long, your knees and feet will be screaming at you (at least they were for me). I'd say if you can do Timpanogos without issue, then you can do LP. It's normally taken me 12 hrs round trip, but I'm not a fast hiker, plenty of people do it in 8-10 hrs.

It was steep but gorgeous

Yes it is difficult and exposed. We hiked this on a more temperate day in late June. Well worth it but expect a steady steep climb and then more climbing. The views are amazing. You look get views of Utah Lake and the Salt Lake Valley to the Great Salt Lake. We did not summit line peak that day but the highlight was Cowboy Meadow and the Granite Cirque.
We took our time with a total time of around 7 hours which included a lengthy time enjoying Cowboy Meadow and the Granite Cirque.

so tiring, we hiked in at 3 am.amd shit alot of photography so didnt arrive till 10 am but many people said they did it around 4-5 hours. i saw a huge 4 point buck, sage grouse, and some amazing granite peaka unlike most in utah. must do for local utah natives!