Loafer Mountain Trail

Loafer Mountain Trail is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santaquin, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from June until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

I enjoyed the views. I hiked up the trail, and ran down. I will definitely do this one again.

Fun hike with some good views. Took me about 3.5 hours round trip. Pretty flat till the peak.

This hike is difficult in a few areas, one had an increase in elevation over a mile long, then the rest was quite manageable. There is a great view of South Utah county along the way, and again at the top. Take plenty of water!! I carried a 72 oz. water jug plus my insulated camelback. I had some water left over. The hike downhill was almost as difficult as going up. I only shaved off 15 minutes on the descent. The entire hike took me 6 hrs and 20 minutes. There are lots of wildflowers along the route but no wildlife other than a horny toad. I didn't see a single person going up or coming down.

A bit overgrown in the early parts of the trail. Very steep in places, overall a great trail!

Lots of wildflowers and beautiful views in all directions. One of the best views from a summit that I've seen from the 3 other Peaks I've visited in the area. There are some steep and rocky parts of the trail but they're mixed in with a lot easy going soft dirt trails that the rocky steep parts didn't bother me much. There is a view of the summit from the first saddle that makes reaching it look daunting but most of the trail from that point on is easy to moderate. It mainly walks the ridge line and is flat and has excellent views of Nebo, Payson Lakes, Timp, Utah valley, as well as many more. My Garmin Fenix tracked 14 miles round trip starting at the Loafer Mt. trailhead at hwy FR15. I think the real distance is somewhere in-between there and what All Trails has, 11.4 RT miles.

One of my favorite peak hikes on the Wasatch front. I agree with the others regarding water. I rarely run out on hikes and I ran out a mile away from reaching my car. My favorite way to enjoy this home is to leave late at night, sleep under the stars in the area you can view the city lights, and summit and exit the next morning.

Did this three days ago. There was still a little snow but it wasn't bad. We did Santaquin peak as it seems to be the more interesting of the two with a better view. The view along the ridge with wild flowers and sweeping views to the south had me tripping on the trail because I couldn't pay attention to my walking. I would definitely recommend this. Make sure you look up the trail so that you stay on it. Also, it's super hot when you get back down in the forest and I ran out of water cooling my dog off. Be ready for heat and no water sources. I will definitely do this one again.

Was only able to complete part of the trail. Took a wrong turn because the trail wasn't marked. Make sure you have a good map

First of all, whomever rated this as "Moderate" probably hasn't actually done this trail. Although the average slope is somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-12%, it is widely variable and has many areas exceeding 20%. This should be on the easy side of "Difficult", rather than moderate.
That being said, this trail is a hidden gem in the area. If you want solitude, this trail is for you! Not only were there impressive views, fields of colorful wildflowers, and wildlife, but we only saw one other pair of people along this trail all day long.
Staring the trail, you'll find parking right at the trailhead. The trail is easily identified and well marked. Your first fork in the trail will come at the corral w/ a wooden fence. Stay to the left (Trail 98). This is just under a mile up the trail. Less than a quarter mile further, you'll encounter your next (and last) crossroads. Take a right (NOT along Bennie Creek/Nebo Loop) to stay on Trail 98. This should start your ascent up the mountain. this travels about another mile or so until you reach the ridge. Once you reach the ridge, the trail turns east, and the grade suddenly increases and pretty much stays at that slope for about a mile. From there, you have a steady gain and loss along the ridgeline, with plenty of areas to stride out. It's manageable until the last 1/2 mile at the approach to Santaquin Summit. All in all, this summit was much easier than others in Utah County, and had equally brilliant views and scenery.
Be aware, there isn't ANY water along this trail (except for a small creek about 200 feet from the trailhead). Pack enough water for your day, and if you have dogs, bring even more. My black lab was struggling by the end due to the heat and sunshine. She used about all 3L I brought.

This trail is a hidden gem in the area. If you want solitude, this trail is for you! Not only were there impressive views, fields of colorful wildflowers, and wildlife, but we only saw one other pair of people along this trail all day long.
Staring the trail, you'll find parking right at the trailhead (Loafer Mountain Trail). The trail is easily identified and well marked. Your first fork in the trail will come at the corral w/ a wooden fence. Stay to the left (Trail 98). This is just under a mile up the trail. Less than a quarter mile further, you'll encounter your next (and last) crossroads. Take a right (NOT along Bennie Creek/Nebo Loop) to stay on Trail 98. This should start your ascent up the mountain. this travels about another mile or so until you reach the ridge. Once you reach the ridge, the trail turns east, and the grade suddenly increases and pretty much stays at that slope for about a mile. From there, you have a steady gain and loss along the ridgeline, with plenty of areas to stride out. It's manageable until the last 1/2 mile at the approach to the summit. All in all, this summit was much easier than others in Utah County, and had equally brilliant views and scenery.

Great views and easy access, the trail is super steep in spots but the lack of switchbacks make it a fast out and back.

Beautiful trail, there's fields on fields of wildflowers and only a bit of snow in July. Steep climbs and some tricky loose rock ledges later on in the trail if you head on to Santaquin Peak (past Loafer), but the view from the top is incredible. Could take it in two days, or as a full-day hike, people here do either way.