Lake Mary Trail

Lake Mary Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until October.

fly fishing

Directions from Salt Lake City: Take Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) to Brighton. Trailhead is located behind the Mt. Majestic Lodge.

One of my all time favorites

The trail itself is beautiful but crowded. We continued to on to Lake Catherine. Lake Mary seemed to be nearly dried up.

This is a great short (but not too short) hike up to one of my favorite lakes. I have yet to go further to Lake Martha or Lake Catherine, though that's definitely on the to do list. I've hiked this trail on super hot summer days and in snow, but I especially enjoy it in spring/early summer when the wild flowers are in bloom. Plenty of rocks to relax on and enjoy a rest while overlooking the lake.

I haven't been yet... but it's amazing!

There was a lot more snow than I was expecting. I thought maybe a light snowfall. It was, however, very fun, incredibly beautiful, and worth the time.

A relatively gentle trail to Lake Mary. We entered on the Brighton side. Once you reach the lake there are a number of options if you choose to proceed; we went up towards Millicent Peak which was quite a climb and a lot of serious bouldering. Unfortunately couldn't make it to the top on account of the snow.

easy trail. very beautiful! interesting photos.

2 miles seemed like an overestimate. It took about 45 min. to finish.

We went Labor Day, so naturally there's going to be a ton of people. The first half of this hike is pretty steep. They drained the dam/ lake so it wasn't that pretty. I'm sure it's beautiful when it's full. The first half is pretty open-- you are hiking right next to ski lifts. I liked the second half more as it is more shaded. This hike would have been better if people would learn to be quite on hikes instead of talking loudly to their group. Be quite on hikes, people! Don't ruin it for everyone else!

This is my first review. I have to say that I was inspired to write this review after this hike. All trails thus far have all been so exceptional that I haven't felt compelled to write more than "that was amazingly perfect" on every hike.....until this one. I really, REALLY didn't like this hike. For me, a good hike has certain criteria including somewhat of seclusion. This hike literally weaves in and out of chair lifts for the first 1/2 or so. There are street lights on the trail. The trail is as wide as a street in some parts. I didn't like it. The views were of the back of a ski resort, near the top. The lake was empty. It was cool to see lots of moose, but that made the hike somewhat scary with a three year old. There is a giant dam you have to walk around to get to the dry lake....so disappointing for a baby that fought his way uphill to see "a lake, mama". This hike is great for you if you like to be out in the wide open where everyone can see you hiking and you can see all of them. You can see the whole ski resort, all the buildings, all the snow machines, street lights, etc. Super un-magical and un-secluded. Great for casual hikes if you want to feel more safe, though. You never feel alone. You never feel in the "woods". :-)

Fun, easy hike. As others noted, the lake is mostly drained, but the mountains are always pretty and you can hike across the lake now so that's different. If you play Pokemon Go and aren't opposed to tech on trails, you can even catch water Pokemon here (haha!)

Pretty views, the dam is empty leaving part of lake Mary dry. Keep going towards Katherine! Lots of moose on the trail too!

So many people on the trail. At least fifty people at the lake when I arrived.

Lake Mary is drained out but we continued the hike up to Lake Catherine and we are so glad we did. We encounter severall wildlife animals (Deer, Moose, all kinds of birds, flowers, etc.) and the views are spectacular. Lake Martha is between Lake Mary and Lake Catherine and it's the prettiest of the three. The hike is moderate. I recommend you start early as on our way down there was a lot of traffic going up.

We just hiked this trail after traversing from Twin Lakes trail. It was fantastic, particularly to traversal from the two lakes. Right after Lake Mary, buy the log cabin, we came upon two Moose that were amazing to watch. We were surprised to find that Lake Mary is drained. Still, if did not take away from how excellent the entire hike (started at Silver Lake) was. going the extra .1 miles to Dog Lake was also worth it, more because of the view of Mt. Clayton from that base spot.

Lovely hike! The reservoir is currently drained but the hike is still fun. I would say this is an easy hike