Lake Desolation Mill D North Trail

Lake Desolation Mill D North Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October.

7.8 miles 2024 feet Out & Back

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 9.5 miles up the canyon to the Mill D North Fork Trailhead about 0.2 mile before Spruces Campground. Trailhead sign marks the beginning on the north side of the road.

I went snowshoeing here yesterday. About a mile up I saw moose tracks and sure enough there was either a calf or cow right on the trail!

We got to see some more moose, and love hiking in the snow. There was about 8 to 10 inches of snow at the top.

Nice hike with a pretty lake at the end. It has some steady uphill but not terribly steep. I passed several people on my way up and down and there were a few at the lake when I got there. I did this hike on a weekend at the end of October. All of the fall colors were over but it was still a pretty hike. This hike has a lot of aspens so could really be pretty throughout the early fall when the leaves start to change. The lake level was probably lower being the end of the fall. I'd also give it a try in the early summer and see how it's different.

One of my favorite Utah lake hikes!!!!

It was long but pretty easy. My 60 year old mother hiked with me so for sure doable. The Lake was a very beautiful color but I still prefer lake Blanche if you are up for a slightly more challenging hike.

I did this as a loop with Beartrap Fork that I found quite lovely. It adds a few hundred feet of elevation, but pays off in terms of view heading both directions from the Wasatch Crest. The loop does involve walking along the road for 1.8 miles. The section of Mill D heading toward Dog Lake is pretty crowded, but much less so once you turn toward Desolation.

Beautiful fall hike! The colors were amazing. The extra 1/2 mile to the ridge was a must. The view was incredible--best part of the hike!

Amazing. You will love it!! Go NOW!! The fall COLORS are spectacular!!

Loved this hike, definitely go up the extra half mile towards guardsman pass it's worth the view of PC.

Beautiful and great workout!.

Really nice hike if you have kids and you wanna make it all the way to the lake take lots of water and bars take lots of rest it's worth

Love the solitude and beauty of teh trail. Not crowded even on a busy fall sunday. Head up to the Crest adding another 1 mile nack/ forth - teh views are amazing. you will be happy you did.